Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Cannot Repair or remove node

Cannot Repair or remove node

Author
BigSam
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have a 2 node cluster. When I move the instance of SQL from node B to Node A, SQL fails. I haven't been able to determine why, but I suspect SQL has become corrupt on node A.
To resolve the issue I thought of repairing the node. When I get to the step where I'm to select the instance of SQL, there isn't one to select, but the node is listed. If I click Next, the error states: This node is not in any sql server failover cluster.
So I tried to remove the node, but got the same result.
(Something has gotten really screwed up. This cluster has been working well for 2 years.)

Can I evict the node in failover management, and then rebuild the node from scratch?
This is a prod environment & I need my databases available at all times, so will this affect the available of them?

I'm running W2k8 Enterprise & SQL2k8 R2.

Thanks in advance.

BigSam
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

what you should have done is to take the group offline and move it to Node A, then try to bring the resources online one at a time in this order

• IP Address

• Network name

• shared disk resources

• sql server service

• sql server agent

If i read it right, you're saying that the uninstall has failed on Node A?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
deep_kkumar
deep_kkumar
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)

How you are trying to remove the node?
BigSam
BigSam
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)

I configured the node to not automatically failover. Then I moved the instance from Node B to Node A. When SQL was in a failed state on Node A I tried to bring it online from SQL Configuration Manager - still failed to come online. Nothing helpful in the logs. Everything comes online except for SQL & Agent.

I would love to repair or remove the node. Whatever it takes to get it working; repaired or rebuilt.
BigSam
BigSam
SSC-Enthusiastic

In trying to repair or remove the node, I'm using the SQL Setup -> Maintenance options on the CD.
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

BigSam (11/28/2012)
A. When SQL was in a failed state on Node A I tried to bring it online from SQL Configuration Manager

Incorrect, bring the resources online manually from failover cluster manager in the order I specified above. When the resource fails go check the event logs you will find information in there.

If you'd like to email me a copy of the event log after the failure I'd be happy to take a look ;-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
BigSam
BigSam
SSC-Enthusiastic

I understand where you're going with these steps. Getting the window to do this on a prod server isn't always easy.
When I failed-over from Node B to A, the instance of SQL was unable to automatically move back. When I tried to start SQL on Node A I was able to capture lots of information in the Error Log; unfortunately there wasn't a smoking gun in the log. All of my databases started, etc. & then boom. I've been trying to work with Microsoft on this & they seem confounded, too. Also, they seem more interested in the root cause, which I understand.
However, now my boss is on me to get something done ASAP, which I also understand. That's why I wanted to either repair or remove the instance. Since I cannot do either in the recommended way, I need to know what or if there is a work around that doesn't take my databases offline, such as just evicting the node from within failover manager, then rebuilding the server & node from scratch.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.