Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

how to create a flat file from SQL tables

how to create a flat file from SQL tables

Author
ssarria
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,
I am trying to create a flat file from a database. I am just learning how to work on sql so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Saul
dba_pkashyap
dba_pkashyap
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)

Is it a database or a table?

If table, you can use export / bcp to copy the contents of the table to a flat file.

Pavan
ssarria
ssarria
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Hi Pavan,
The idea is to create a back up of the database on a flat file. It could be by tables.though
I did use mysql workbench to update an existing DB but now I was asked to create a back up on a flat file.
Thanks,
dba_pkashyap
dba_pkashyap
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)

Why do you want to create the backup on a flat file, use SQL native backup tool and take the backup.

If you have to backup all tables on flat files, then you might have to do it for every table seperately.

You can use Export data / bcp / SSIS package etc.

Pavan.
ssarria
ssarria
Forum Newbie

Thanks Pavan,
I will give it a try.
S.
ssarria
ssarria
Forum Newbie

Hey Pavan,
some how is not working, it is giving me an error messages. It is a syntax error... sorry I am still learning SQL..
Thanks!
S
Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)

ssarria (11/28/2012)
Hey Pavan,
some how is not working, it is giving me an error messages. It is a syntax error... sorry I am still learning SQL..
Thanks!
S

Please post all your code and the exact text of your syntax error. We can't help you if we don't know what you're looking at.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
anthony.green
anthony.green
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)

ssarria (11/27/2012)
Hi Pavan,
The idea is to create a back up of the database on a flat file. It could be by tables.though
I did use mysql workbench to update an existing DB but now I was asked to create a back up on a flat file.
Thanks,

Are you using SQL or MySQL?

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
When a question, really isn't a question - Jeff Smith
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

ssarria
ssarria
Forum Newbie

I ma using MySQL.
I believe, what I need is to create a flat file that could be used as a backup in case of something happen to the database.
I am not sure of what commands to use without putting on risk my DB.
anthony.green
anthony.green
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)

This is a Microsoft SQL server forum, not a MySQL forum, you might be best using a dedicated MySQL forum.

But a quick google search for "export mysql db to file" brought it a number of results which might help you out.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=export+mysql+db+to+file

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
When a question, really isn't a question - Jeff Smith
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.