SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

STUFF - 1

STUFF - 1

Author
bitbucket-25253
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item STUFF - 1

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Raghavendra Mudugal
Raghavendra Mudugal
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

nice Smile thank you for the question

(though it was simple and straight question, not sure why i kept occupied myself thinking as it was a trick question... :crazySmile

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
sanket kokane
sanket kokane
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)SSC Eights! (827 reputation)

Thanks ,good question.. learn first time about STUFF and then answered it :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
संकेत कोकणे
vk-kirov
vk-kirov
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

Another question about different stuff :-)
An interesting example of inserting one string into another. Never thought it could be done that way. I always did it using something like
SELECT LEFT(@string1, 10) + @Stuffing + RIGHT(@string1, LEN(@string1) - 10)

kalyani.k478
kalyani.k478
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (780 reputation)Right there with Babe (780 reputation)Right there with Babe (780 reputation)Right there with Babe (780 reputation)Right there with Babe (780 reputation)Right there with Babe (780 reputation)Right there with Babe (780 reputation)Right there with Babe (780 reputation)

+1
Stuart Davies
Stuart Davies
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)

Couldn't work out if it was a trick question or not - decided it wasn't

Thanks for the point and the question Ron

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden Smart way to ask a questionThere are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)

Nice question to end the week. Thanks Ron!

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

vk-kirov (11/22/2012)
Another question about different stuff :-)
An interesting example of inserting one string into another. Never thought it could be done that way. I always did it using something like
SELECT LEFT(@string1, 10) + @Stuffing + RIGHT(@string1, LEN(@string1) - 10)

STUFF is a very powerful function that can be used for many things, but unfortunately is not very well known. I have seen people struggle with RIGHT and REVERSE or SUBSTRING and LENGTH to cut off the first three characters of a string, instead of simply using STUFF(@string, 1, 3, '').

Ron, thanks for this question. I hope it helps spread the knowledge about STUFF.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Good question to end the week on, thanks Ron

derek.colley
derek.colley
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Thanks for a good question, I know about STUFF for replacing parts of strings but thought the '0' for the length parameter formed part of a trick question (i.e. insert no characters from @stuffing rather than delete no characters from @string1) so selected 16, not 46.

Then after getting it wrong :-( and researching the question I found this comment from Zafar Yousafi in BOL:

At first sight it might not be clear directly how to insert a character (or a string) instead of substituting characters in the original string.

To insert a string, without replacing/substituting characters in the original string you need to specify a length of 0 (zero).
SELECT STUFF('abcghi', 4, 0, 'DEF');
-- this results in 'abcDEFghi'.

So, learned something new today - thanks!

---

Note to developers:
CAST(SUBSTRING(CAST(FLOOR(NULLIF(ISNULL(COALESCE(1,NULL),NULL),NULL)) AS CHAR(1)),1,1) AS INT) == 1
So why complicate your code AND MAKE MY JOB HARDER??!Crazy

Want to get the best help? Click here http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ (Jeff Moden)
My blog: http://uksqldba.blogspot.com
Visit http://www.DerekColley.co.uk to find out more about me.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.