SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Example VSS Framework - Source Code Management - Part 1

Example VSS Framework - Source Code Management - Part 1

Author
ckempste
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/ckempster/examplevssframeworksourcecodemanagementpart1.asp

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com
Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"
jrobertsteg
jrobertsteg
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

First let me say "Thank you" for writing and offering this article. It's an important topic, and there are a lot of good things here. My criticism is that the English prose in the article could use some review. There are mistakes in the usage, and generally I find it difficult to follow your ideas as written.

ckempste
ckempste
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Hi there, the article actually came from my "developers how to guide" for our new VSS framework...funny enough, I had zero comments from the guys hence I was a terrible self editor

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com
stmacdonald
stmacdonald
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)

Chris,
I've struggled for some time with trying to find a good VSS framework, and I think you've provided my answer. Thanks for the great article! I have some questions...

1. The last screen shot of VSS shows, in the Production project, a \CC001\MYAPP project and a \MYAPP project (along with the \STARS project). Is this how you leave it once the change is in production?

Alright, maybe I had just one question...

Steve MacDonald

ckempste
ckempste
Ten Centuries

Hi Steve

Actually, I forgot to discuss archiving projects, even in part 2 of the article. How and when you clean up is up to you. One of the benefits from this particular model is that you can go back to any "production" release of the source code, and then reapply dev/test environment code to return the environment back to this point in time. As we branch+share code, any removals will of course break the VSS version tree at this point and can render the merge processes within VSS useless, so take care when and where you issue the removal.

Another question asked offline is in relation to the /production project. You will notice that we create a FULL share+branch (copy) of all source code and merge the altered code from the test project into it. You could retain the single set of source in the production project, but I wouldnt recommend it if you relatively new to VSS. A full duplication of code then merging makes live much easier and safer in the long run.

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com
stmacdonald
stmacdonald
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)SSC Veteran (200 reputation)

Thanks Chris! Did I miss Part 2, or is it coming in the next few days?

Steve Mac

ckempste
ckempste
Ten Centuries

On the 16th I believe.. some more senarios etc are discussed.

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com

Chris Kempster
www.chriskempster.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.