SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

File Tables

File Tables

Author
J DBA
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Revenant (11/20/2012)
I did not squeeze into the 17 percent that got it right... But thanks for the challenge!

Despite my "waist size challenge", I was able to squeeze into the 17 percent, but only because we have been looking at FileTables for a couple of projects here.

J
Lon-860191
Lon-860191
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Good question, thanks, always nice to pick up a new tidbit about 2012.
Kick6Tiger
Kick6Tiger
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)

demonfox (11/19/2012)
After reading the file table, I fell on varbinary(max) ..
need to read it again ..

thanks for the question..

+1 Sad

Aigle de Guerre!
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)

Meow Now (11/20/2012)
demonfox (11/19/2012)
After reading the file table, I fell on varbinary(max) ..
need to read it again ..

thanks for the question..

+1 Sad

+2

If one answer says "it uses A" and another says "it uses A and B" and the last one is correct, I would assume the first one is also correct.
Or is gravity going up these days?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
jlennartz
jlennartz
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (934 reputation)SSC Eights! (934 reputation)SSC Eights! (934 reputation)SSC Eights! (934 reputation)SSC Eights! (934 reputation)SSC Eights! (934 reputation)SSC Eights! (934 reputation)SSC Eights! (934 reputation)

Another learning Experience. Thanks for the discussion, It always helps clear up misunderstandings.
bochambers
bochambers
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)

As I don't have any of my production systems on 2012 yet, I couldn't actually test out the functionality, but it useful to know about the additional features for when we do migrate. The VARBINARY(MAX) option was a bit unfare as that information isn't readily available in the MSDN page, and if the inclusion of VARBINARY(MAX) is simply because the basis of the FILESTREAM type is VARBINARY(MAX) then isn't it inclusive when referring to the FILESTREAM type alone?

But to reiterate, it is a good question that helps many of us to expand our knowledge of the new SQL Server 2012 features, so thank you :-)
Andre Guerreiro
Andre Guerreiro
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

61% chosen - It is used in conjunction with the FILESTREAM data type;

It seems many people had the idea that FILESTREAM is a data type and not a column property.

Thanks for the question.

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
http://www.softplan.com.br
MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA
arun1_m1
arun1_m1
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

It's always good to learn new concepts , even though I got the question wrong.:-P
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

codebyo (11/21/2012)
61% chosen - It is used in conjunction with the FILESTREAM data type;

It seems many people had the idea that FILESTREAM is a data type and not a column property.

Or that many people focused on the keywords in the answer options and hence missed the subtle change between the options that list FILESTREAM data type and FILESTREAM storage type.

That's what happened to me - luckily, I knew that I had to pick three, not four options, so I picked the "most correct" of those two. It was only after reading this discussion that I went back to the list of questions and answers and noticed the subtle difference.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

Thanks for the question.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.