SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Cannot connect to Reporting Services with Managment Studio

Cannot connect to Reporting Services with Managment Studio

Author
johnmcp
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I've just set up a new instance of SSRS 2012 and I'm unable to connect to it through Management Studio. The error is:

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------

Cannot connect to <server_name>.

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Unable to connect to the server at <server_name>. The specified URL might not be valid or there might be a problem with the report server version or configuration. Specify a different URL, or contact your server administrator to verify that the report server runs SQL Server 2008 or later. Additionally, if you are trying to connect to a SharePoint-integrated report server, verify that SharePoint is installed on the server and that the report server uses SharePoint integrated mode. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.RSClient)

It is a native report server. Reporting Services is running on a separate server to the reporting databases (but I doubt if this matters).
I can connect to the management URL fine. It is using SSL. Does this matter when connecting from Management Studio?
Any help appreciated.
BLOB EATER
BLOB EATER
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

a silly question but is the service started?
i like to start from the bottom ;-)
johnmcp
johnmcp
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)

No better place to start :-D
The service is definitely started, I can connect through the browser and run reports no problem.
BLOB EATER
BLOB EATER
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

can you try in the ssms connection servername =
http://servername:port/ReportServer

i.e.

http://SSRSSSSQL007:80/ReportServer
johnmcp
johnmcp
SSC-Enthusiastic

I just tried with the URL, still no luck Sad

EDIT: My configuration had a https URL only. I added a http URL to the configuration and now I can connect with SSMS through this URL.
So it seems that my problem was related to using SSL. Unfortunately I can't leave the http URL so I still need to figure out why I can't connect using the SSL URL.
BLOB EATER
BLOB EATER
SSCrazy

you wrote Reporting Services is running on a separate server ....

can you check C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\LogFiles

and the application event viewer for any clues
johnmcp
johnmcp
SSC-Enthusiastic

I've got this warning message in the Application Log:

The value for UrlRoot in RSReportServer.config is not valid. The default value will be used instead.

There is nothing significant in the log files unfortunately.
johnmcp
johnmcp
SSC-Enthusiastic

I've had enough with this issue now, I've decided that I will just enable the http URL when I need to manage this server. That will have to do.
Joie Andrew
Joie Andrew
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

I know this thread is a little old, but I just came across it while troubleshooting a similar problem with SSRS 2008 R2. I could connect but would get an SSL error everytime I tried to view properties of anything.

In my scenario I realized that I could connect through SSMS to SSRS using SSL if I specified the entire report service URL.

ex: https://ssrsServer.yourcompany.org/ReportServer

Once that was done I connected fine and was able to view everything I expected to.

Joie Andrew
"Since 1982"
doidonguri
doidonguri
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Hi BLOB_EATER,

I encountered the same issue and your advice worked for my case. Thank you so much!

I tried but couldn't find any information like this (using URI for Server name in SSMS' login dialogue).

I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me how you came up with this idea or direct me to some documentations on it.

N
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.