SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

html from sql server 2K8R2

html from sql server 2K8R2

Author
rightontarget
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi all,
I am trying to generate an HTML-formated email from sql server. I need to be able to control the font-size/position of the table cell <td> or table row <tr>.
Here is the link of the sample I am trying to follow: http://grounding.co.za/blogs/romiko/archive/2008/09/21/generating-professional-email-notifications-with-sql.aspx
Could someone help?

IF (OBJECT_ID('#tmpDailyReport') IS NOT NULL)
DROP TABLE #tmpDailyReport

CREATE TABLE #tmpDailyReport(
Date varchar( 12 ) Null,
WebServerName varchar( 150 ) NOT Null,
Location varchar( 150 ) NOT Null,
cnt_RecsTotal int Null,
cnt_RecsFailed int Null
)

INSERT INTO #tmpDailyReport(
Date, WebServerName, Location, cnt_RecsTotal,cnt_RecsFailed
)
select '2008-01-01','Amsterdam-Server','Amsterdam',1000,2
union
select '2008-01-01','London-Server','London Bridge',50,0
union
select '2008-01-01','London-Server','London West Minster',80,0
union
select '2008-01-01','Portugal-Server','Lisbon',5,1

DECLARE @tableHTML NVARCHAR(MAX) ;

SET @tableHTML =
N'<H3>Daily Failure Report</H3>' +
N'<div><H5>Execution Date: <font color="blue">' + CONVERT(NVARCHAR(30), GETDATE(), 113) + '</FONT></H5></div>' +
N'<table border="1">' +
N'<tr><th>InsertDate</th><th>WebServerName</th><th>Location</th><th>Total Records</th><th>Failed Records</th>' +
CAST ( (

SELECT td = Date, '', td = WebServerName, '', td = Location, '', td = cnt_RecsTotal, '',
'td/@bgcolor' = CASE WHEN cnt_RecsFailed > 0 THEN '#FF3366' END,
td = cnt_RecsFailed
FROM #tmpDailyReport
for xml path('tr'), TYPE

) AS NVARCHAR(MAX) ) +
N'</table>' +
N'
' ;

drop table #tmpDailyReport

Thanks,
George Rypysc
George Rypysc
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)

This seems to be more of an HTML/CSS formatting question than a SQL Server question, so perhaps try this:
1. Take the HTML created by the code you posted and output it with: select @tableHTML
2. Paste that output into Notepad and view it in a web browser.
3. Manually edit it by trial and error it until you get the desired result using references such as the "HTML Style Example - Font, Color and Size" example at w3schools.
4. Put the formatting want back into the T-SQL.

For example, this code makes the font of the red cells larger and they are sorted/ORDERed BY the number of failed records. (Is sorting what you meant by controlling the position of tr?)

SELECT td = Date, '', td = WebServerName, '', td = Location, '', td = cnt_RecsTotal, '',
'td/@style' = CASE WHEN cnt_RecsFailed > 0 THEN 'background-color:#FF3366; font-size:20pt;' END,
td = cnt_RecsFailed
FROM #tmpDailyReport
ORDER BY cnt_RecsFailed
for xml path('tr'), TYPE

) AS NVARCHAR(MAX) ) +
N'</table>' +
N'
' ;

rightontarget
rightontarget
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)

Thank you for reply,
So, for every <td>, if I need to change an attribute, I'd need to select 'td/@style' = ......?

Thanks,
Alan.B
Alan.B
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)

eugene.pipko (11/19/2012)
Thank you for reply,
So, for every <td>, if I need to change an attribute, I'd need to select 'td/@style' = ......?

Thanks,

Yes.

P.S. W3Schools is the best place to go for an HTML reference.

-- Alan Burstein

Best practices for getting help on SQLServerCentral
Need to split a string? Try DelimitedSplit8K or DelimitedSplit8K_LEAD (SQL 2012+)
Need a pattern-based splitter? Try PatternSplitCM
Need to remove or replace those unwanted characters? Try PatExclude8K and PatReplace8K.

"I can't stress enough the importance of switching from a 'sequential files' mindset to 'set-based' thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code. " -- Itzek Ben-Gan 2001
rightontarget
rightontarget
SSC Veteran

Thanks, what if I need to change font-weight at <tr> level?
How do I access <tr>?
Alan.B
Alan.B
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)

eugene.pipko (11/27/2012)
Thanks, what if I need to change font-weight at <tr> level?
How do I access <tr>?

The top row (the first instance of the TR tag) you could add any attributes just like you would by writing the HTML like so:

N'<tr style=''font-family: arial black;''><th>InsertDate</th><th>WebServerName</th><th>Location</th><th>Total Records</th><th>Failed Records</th>' +

There are a number of other ways... Let's say you wanted to access all the rows (<tr>'s), you could add a style sheet in the static HTML portion as follows:

SET @tableHTML =
N'<style> tr {font-family: Segoe Script;}</style>' +

What is going on here is a mix of HTML and CSS; again, W3schools.com is the place to get a grasp of HTML, CSS, XML, etc..

Below is a sample that you can use as a reference. Notice how I change the first row (the 1st <tr>Wink, all the rows (all <tr>'s) and all the cells (the <td>'s)

This:

IF (OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#tmpDailyReport') IS NOT NULL)
DROP TABLE #tmpDailyReport

CREATE TABLE #tmpDailyReport(
Date varchar( 12 ) Null,
WebServerName varchar( 150 ) NOT Null,
Location varchar( 150 ) NOT Null,
cnt_RecsTotal int Null,
cnt_RecsFailed int Null
)

INSERT INTO #tmpDailyReport(
Date, WebServerName, Location, cnt_RecsTotal,cnt_RecsFailed
)
select '2008-01-01','Amsterdam-Server','Amsterdam',1000,2
union
select '2008-01-01','London-Server','London Bridge',50,0
union
select '2008-01-01','London-Server','London West Minster',80,0
union
select '2008-01-01','Portugal-Server','Lisbon',5,1

--SELECT * FROM #tmpDailyReport

DECLARE @tableHTML NVARCHAR(MAX) ;

SET @tableHTML =
N'<style> tr {font-family: Segoe Script;}</style>' +
N'<div><H5>Execution Date: <font color="blue">' + CONVERT(NVARCHAR(30), GETDATE(), 113) + '</FONT></H5></div>' +
N'<table border="1">' +
N'<tr style=''font-family: arial black;''><th>InsertDate</th><th>WebServerName</th><th>Location</th><th>Total Records</th><th>Failed Records</th>' +
CAST ( (
SELECT td = Date, '',
td = WebServerName, '',
td = Location, '',
td = cnt_RecsTotal, '',
'td/@style' = CASE WHEN cnt_RecsFailed > 0 THEN 'font-weight: bold; color: pink;' END,
td = cnt_RecsFailed
FROM #tmpDailyReport
for xml path('tr'), TYPE) AS NVARCHAR(MAX) ) +
N'</table>' +
N'';

SELECT @tableHTML

drop table #tmpDailyReport

Will produce this:

<style> tr {font-family: Segoe Script;}</style><H3>Daily Failure Report</H3><div><H5>Execution Date: <font color="blue">27 Nov 2012
14:30:21:433</FONT></H5></div><table border="1"><tr style='font-family: arial
black;'><th>InsertDate</th><th>WebServerName</th><th>Location</th><th>Total Records</th><th>Failed Records</th><tr><td>2008-01-
01</td><td>Amsterdam-Server</td><td>Amsterdam</td><td>1000</td><td style="font-weight: bold; color: pink;">2</td></tr><tr><td>2008-
01-01</td><td>London-Server</td><td>London Bridge</td><td>50</td><td>0</td></tr><tr><td>2008-01-01</td><td>London-
Server</td><td>London West Minster</td><td>80</td><td>0</td></tr><tr><td>2008-01-01</td><td>Portugal-
Server</td><td>Lisbon</td><td>5</td><td style="font-weight: bold; color: pink;">1</td></tr></table>

Edited: Code sample got jacked up...

-- Alan Burstein

Best practices for getting help on SQLServerCentral
Need to split a string? Try DelimitedSplit8K or DelimitedSplit8K_LEAD (SQL 2012+)
Need a pattern-based splitter? Try PatternSplitCM
Need to remove or replace those unwanted characters? Try PatExclude8K and PatReplace8K.

"I can't stress enough the importance of switching from a 'sequential files' mindset to 'set-based' thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code. " -- Itzek Ben-Gan 2001
Brandon Forest
Brandon Forest
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)

I don't have a specific example to show you, but another approach is to use the SELECT command using the FOR XML switch. Then use XSLT transformations to convert to the target format. ;-)
rightontarget
rightontarget
SSC Veteran

Alan,
Sorry for delay, but better later than never.
Thank you.
That is what I was looking for.

Eugene
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.