Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Defaults

Defaults

Author
(Bob Brown)
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Great question. I guess I had to think about it more than some of the others though.
ronmoses
ronmoses
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Dag-nabbit, that'll teach me to read more carefully. I read it as "how many" and not "which"! Duh. Well at least I got it right in my head. ;-)

Ron

-----
a haiku...

NULL is not zero
NULL is not an empty string
NULL is the unknown

Roland Alexander STL
Roland Alexander STL
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)

Good question, and one that not too many of us consider daily. We ought to make note here that DEFAULT has been deprecated in an unspecified future version of SQL Server, so don't get too attached to it :-)

Roland Alexander
The Developing World

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. ~ Albert Schweitzer
Dana Medley
Dana Medley
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Thanks for the easy question this morning. :-)

Everything is awesome!
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

Roland Alexander STL (11/15/2012)
We ought to make note here that DEFAULT has been deprecated in an unspecified future version of SQL Server, so don't get too attached to it :-)

I think you are confusing default constraints (which are defined in the ANSI standard, and not deprecated) with "default objects" that can be bound to columns or alias data types.

The ANSI standard DEFAULT constraint is what's used in this question - no seperate object, but a default definition used as a constraint in the table.
The deprecated feature uses CREATE DEFAULT to create a default obejct, and then calls the stored procedure sp_binddefault to bind it to either a column or an alias data type.

Reference (hyperlink!): CREATE DEFAULT

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Thomas Abraham
Thomas Abraham
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Kenneth, thanks for the question. Everyone says back to basics question. Basically, it wasn't for me, as I've never even seen code (mine or anyone else's that used this.). Got it right, both here and in my head. ;-)

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Roland Alexander STL
Roland Alexander STL
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (520 reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (11/15/2012)
We ought to make note here that DEFAULT has been deprecated in an unspecified future version of SQL Server, so don't get too attached to it :-)

I think you are confusing default constraints (which are defined in the ANSI standard, and not deprecated) with "default objects" that can be bound to columns or alias data types.

The ANSI standard DEFAULT constraint is what's used in this question - no seperate object, but a default definition used as a constraint in the table.
The deprecated feature uses CREATE DEFAULT to create a default obejct, and then calls the stored procedure sp_binddefault to bind it to either a column or an alias data type.

No, I don't believe I'm confused. Have a look at the list at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143729.aspx where you'll find this entry:

Use of DEFAULT keyword as default value.
Do not use the word DEFAULT as a default value.

under "Not Supported In A Future Version of SQL Server".

Now, it may be that I misread this, but I'm hard-pressed to see how. Nonetheless I would be quite happy to be shown wrong.

Roland Alexander
The Developing World

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. ~ Albert Schweitzer
Roland Alexander STL
Roland Alexander STL
Mr or Mrs. 500

Re-reading the posts I realize I was not specific in what I said was deprecated. Default constraints are NOT deprecated, quite obviously, but using the DEFAULT keyword in an INSERT statement is deprecated. I apologize for the confusion and thank Hugo for pointing out the inadequacy.

Roland Alexander
The Developing World

Kick6Tiger
Kick6Tiger
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)SSChasing Mays (641 reputation)

I've never actually used the keyword DEFAULT before...seems kind of redundant. Oh well, I manage to apply logic to the other possible answers and derive that it must be a legit feature. Thanks for the 2 correct answers hint. Cool

Aigle de Guerre!
Kenneth.Fisher
Kenneth.Fisher
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Re-reading the posts I realize I was not specific in what I said was deprecated. Default constraints are NOT deprecated, quite obviously, but using the DEFAULT keyword in an INSERT statement is deprecated. I apologize for the confusion and thank Hugo for pointing out the inadequacy.

I wonder if that means that the DEFAULT keyword won't work in updates either. If so I hope they replace the functionality with something else. We use it in some triggers to update a "lastupdate" column. UPDATE tablename SET columname = DEFAULT. I may be missing something but I can't see a way to do this without the DEFAULT keyword.

Kenneth Fisher
I strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.