SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Importing from DBF

Importing from DBF

Author
kelster101757
Valued Member
Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi, I'm pretty new to integration services and I'm trying import data from a DBF database. What's the best way to do this? We're using Windows 2008 R2 64bit with SQL server R2.

I've opened the tables on a Windows 7 32bit machine using Excel using the following method:

- Installed the 32bit Foxpro driver http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/bb190233 - no 64bit reader
- Created a ODBC connection using 32bit ODBC
- Created a ODBC data source using the Microsoft DBase VFP driver and chose database type "free table directory"
- Open customer database in Excel (needs to be a 32bit program)

Your help would be appreciated! Thanks
Mackers
Mackers
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)

Is this Integration Services or Analysis Services you need help with? You post says SSAS but it sounds like you mean SSIS

Mack
kelster101757
kelster101757
Valued Member
Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)Valued Member (52 reputation)

Mackers (11/5/2012)
Is this Integration Services or Analysis Services you need help with? You post says SSAS but it sounds like you mean SSIS

Mack

your right, i meant intergration services. Ive now changed the question.

Thanks
Mackers
Mackers
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)

Not sure how much guidance you need here but you can use 64-bit SSIS to use 34-bit drivers as you can run it in 32-bit mode

To create 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit machine you can run the 32 bit version of ODBC admin
ie C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

When you are running your SSIS package you can run that in 32-bit mode by running the package with /x86 command
ie dtexec /DTS "\File System\my_package" /SERVER localhost /CHECKPOINTING OFF /REPORTING V /x86

Does this help?
Mack
kelster101757
kelster101757
Valued Member

Yeah that helps. I also found this article that explain how to connect to DBF :-)

http://blogs.lessthandot.com/index.php/DataMgmt/DataDesign/think-carefully-which-sql-server-you-wan
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.