Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

backup background process

backup background process

Author
atulyan.aries
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
when backup is taken can anyone tell me as to what exactly happens in the background
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

Why do you want to know? What problem are you investigating?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

atulyan.aries
atulyan.aries
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)SSC Journeyman (77 reputation)

newbie wanting to understand sql
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

Well, at a high level, all used data pages read from the data file and written into the backup file. That's the core. It's a bit of a simplification, but good enough.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Yuri55
Yuri55
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)

What means "used pages"? Can you please clarify. Thanks
Bhuvnesh
Bhuvnesh
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Yuri55 (10/14/2012)
used means the pages which contain data .

refer this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175477(v=sql.90).aspx

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)
Yuri55
Yuri55
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)

Bhuvnesh (10/15/2012)
Yuri55 (10/14/2012)
used means the pages which contain data .

refer this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175477(v=sql.90).aspx

Make sense, thanks
What does not make sense though (probably I am missing something :-))- let say you backup DB1 with 50% Available free space (from Shrink DB task you can see this number). Then you restore DB2 from this backup and I guess (saw it many times) that DB1 and DB2 have same size (not 50% less I mean). Why is this- because pages were not completely free on DB1 and therefore were backed up? Thanks
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever

Because restoring a backup always recreates the database exactly as it was at the time the backup was taken.

Gail Shaw

Yuri55
Yuri55
SSC-Addicted

Sorry Gail but IMO it does not sound logical- if during backup only used (with data) pages are written to backup file then restored DB should have only such pages (i.e. with data only and no empty pages), i.e. can be different from original one? Or am I missing somethng? Thanks
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever

The backup file (the .bak) contains only the pages (actually extents) that are allocated to objects. There's no point in backing up empty space.
The restored database must however be exactly the same as the database that was backed up. If the source database had 50% free space, so will the restored DB. How would SQL tell cases where that 50% free space is desired and required from cases where is is not? It can't just assume that the free space can be removed (and, infact doing so could be a huge problem, it would essentially be doing a shrink after every restore, horrible)

Gail Shaw

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.