SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Job History clearing

Job History clearing

Author
andymay-496937
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi there

I have a SQL Server that clears it's Job History every morning sometime after 5 am. it clears out completely, but I can't find a job of scheduled task that does it. I need the log to work out why jobs are failing so I need to stop it but can't see how it is doing it.

Any help would be much appreciated
rVadim
rVadim
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Check agent properties. There should be a chechbox to auto remove job history.
andymay-496937
andymay-496937
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)

Thanks for that, I have checked in the Agent properties>history page and the option to clear the history is not set.

To try to track it I ran a job every 10 mins overnight and the logs are there from 5:10 am so something is clearing the history at 5:00am, but I can't find any jobs or scheduled tasks that run at that time that would clear it.
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

under sql agent - properties - history there is also a setting for limit size of job history log. This defaults to 1000 so if you have a lot of jobs, or jobs that run frequently this soon fills, so increase that value.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
rVadim
rVadim
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Could it be ..
- Maintenance plan;
- External job scheduled in windows;

If I'm not mistaken, job history usually deleted by this procedure: sp_purge_jobhistory. Try to trace who is calling it using profiler.

...Just a few thoughts.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.