Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSRS default parameter

SSRS default parameter

Author
kalyav21
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

I'm trying to develop a new rdl with 2 parameter, both are with drop down values. One parameter is ClientName (say) A,B,C and other parameter is YearMonth which defaults to Max Loadmonth. Which has values like 201201,201202,201203.

I'm previewing the report -> selected ClientName A, for which MaxLoadmonth is 201202, its selected automatically when I select the clientname as it is default. I got results
Next, I'm selecting ClientName B, for which MaxLaodMonth is 201204(this is higher than the loadmonth of my first selection).
Here, the default for the 2nd selection is not changing automatically when i select the clientname, because the loadmonth range is higher than 1st selection.
Any clientname with MaxLoadmonth is less than the previous selection are populating default values automatically.
Please advise.
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

How did you set the default for MaxLoadMonth? Did you use a query?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
kalyav21
kalyav21
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)

Yes, I used the query (like)
Select Max(LoadMonth)
From Table
Where ClientName=@ClientName
Tim Paulsen
Tim Paulsen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Did you try setting the advanced property of the parameter to "Always refresh"? Sometimes the "Automatically determine when to refresh" decides not to refresh the default value for the second dropdown.
mtillman-921105
mtillman-921105
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (638 reputation)SSChasing Mays (638 reputation)SSChasing Mays (638 reputation)SSChasing Mays (638 reputation)SSChasing Mays (638 reputation)SSChasing Mays (638 reputation)SSChasing Mays (638 reputation)SSChasing Mays (638 reputation)

If I'm understanding correctly, you want to use cascading parameters since you want the value of one parameter's available options dependent upon the value of the first parameter (in this case, the client name). If so, you should look into cascading parameters.

Grasshopper

Yes, it is already to set to "Always refresh" only. Thank you.
kalyav21
kalyav21
Grasshopper

Even in cascading parameter too, the value is not getting refreshed when the 2nd parameter value is higher than the first selection. E.g., for first selection MaxLoadmonth is 201202 and for second selection MaxLoadmonth is 201204.
Tim Paulsen
Tim Paulsen
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Check out this link:
http://www.bp-msbi.com/2011/04/ssrs-cascading-parameters-refresh-solved/. Apparently not refreshing the default value on cascading parameters is by design. The above link shows a work around to this behavior.
kalyav21
kalyav21
Grasshopper

Thank you Tim. It's really helpful.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.