SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

backup file size

backup file size

Author
Suresh B.
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
zahid_7777 (8/10/2012)
Actually I don't know. How to know this and change the configuration.

Backup and restore are very serious activites. You need to lear it thorouly, practice and become comfortable in performing backup and restore.
Neel 7777
Neel 7777
Valued Member
Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)

I just scheduled for backup as recurring, daily, expires 1 day and started sql server agent along with the jobs under it and getting the scheduled backup, but backup steel growing in the rate of double of previous backup. Hope expires in one day is not working. In which point i am doing wrong. Would you let me know? More you may write the appropriate process for scheduled backup. (Look original size of database is not much 105 mb but .bak file size 597 mb
Neel 7777
Neel 7777
Valued Member
Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)Valued Member (60 reputation)

May be you are right I will create new backup policy, by adding recurring, daily, expires in 1 day and append option selected. But where can i found append option or default option. Thank you very much.
durai nagarajan
durai nagarajan
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

zahid_7777 (9/3/2012)
May be you are right I will create new backup policy, by adding recurring, daily, expires in 1 day and append option selected. But where can i found append option or default option. Thank you very much.

how are you creating backup by code or maintanence plan?

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Neel 7777
Neel 7777
Valued Member

Maintenance plan giving error message. But I am right clicking on the database then selecting task and next backup after that selecting the options like expires 1 day, recurring daily, and setting schedule but I didn't find append or default option. Backup is producing everyday but growing almost double in size.
arunkumarco
arunkumarco
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)

check exact size of your database not right click on database then property and check size not from option.

SELECT DB_NAME(database_id) AS DatabaseName,
Name AS Logical_Name,
Physical_Name, (size*8)/1024 SizeMB
FROM sys.master_files
WHERE DB_NAME(database_id) = 'AdventureWorks'
GO
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

zahid_7777 (8/10/2012)
Right clicking in the database selecting task then backup, assigning job by selecting script action to job generated by sql server and schedule. Not maintenance plan or writing any script personally. I am steel learning. But may be database backups are growing because service is adding the new backup with the old backups not replacing older one. I have selected expired on 0 (zero) days.

The sql server default is NOINIT which will write all backups into the same file, if you're using the same filename each time. Either

• use a different filename each time by dynamically appending the date maybe?

• Or use INIT to overwrite the backup set (not the best way)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
Neel 7777
Neel 7777
Valued Member

Thanks. I will do as you suggested. I hope this is very useful. One thing,
* should I mention zero day or more days for expire last backup option to reduce space.
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

You can do, but i don't use it.
I, and I'm sure many others, create files based on date, much easier to manage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
Nadrek
Nadrek
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Backups by date/time are definitely easier to deal with, especially if your SQL Server is toasted or you're at a DR site and you want to see what you have.

Take a look at the maintenance solutions from Ola Hallengren and/or SQLFool - I use a slightly modified version of Ola's scripts for backups and for cleaning up older files.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.