SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Error: Agent XPs disabled. How do I fix this?

Error: Agent XPs disabled. How do I fix this?

Author
talk2charles2day
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
hi,
I was trying to generate scripts for a DB i am working with but I keep having this error:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Could not load the DLL xpstar.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).
Could not load the DLL xpstar.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.). (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 17750)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.1600&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=17750&LinkId=20476

I restarted the Agent service, it will start and stop almost immediately. Please has anyone encountered this error? Thanks.
anthony.green
anthony.green
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

what errors do you get in the windows application log for the agent service?

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
When a question, really isn't a question - Jeff Smith
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

talk2charles2day
talk2charles2day
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)

Ok, from the Event Viewer, I see this error.

Could not load the DLL xpstar.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.).

anthony.green
anthony.green
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

is that in the SQL server event log or the windows log?

SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

talk2charles2day
talk2charles2day
SSC Rookie

Windows Log
anthony.green
anthony.green
SSChampion

Well something or someone has deleted the dll or a referencing dll or the dll's are not registered.

What version of SQL and Service Pack level are you on?

I would recommend reinstalling or applying the latest service pack so that it can reinstall and reregister the dll's

talk2charles2day
talk2charles2day
SSC Rookie

Thanks Tony Green,
I am currently repairing the instance that is giving me issues via Installation cantre. I hope it works. All the service packs SP1-3 are lower versions[10.0.0.2...]. The troublesome instance is on an MSSQL Server 2008 R2 edition[10.0.50....].

Thanks for the assistance.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.