SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Traces running with NULL FileName,MaxSize values

Traces running with NULL FileName,MaxSize values

Author
Divine Flame
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
On one of our servers we can see 3 traces running with NULL FileName, NULL MaxSize. When geting the data from sys.fn_trace_getinfo values are NULL for property 2,3&4. Value 1 is returned for properties 1 & 5.

Could anybody help to understand this or if anybody else has experienced the same situation earlier?

Sujeet Singh
Lowell
Lowell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (70K reputation)SSC Guru (70K reputation)SSC Guru (70K reputation)SSC Guru (70K reputation)SSC Guru (70K reputation)SSC Guru (70K reputation)SSC Guru (70K reputation)SSC Guru (70K reputation)

wierd;
i cannot get a trace to be created with either the options or the filename to be null;
it's wierd that you are able to see that.

i tried stuff like stopping my example traces, but that just changes the status; doesn't affect teh otehr parameter values.

Lowell
--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!
Divine Flame
Divine Flame
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Lowell (8/6/2012)
wierd;
i cannot get a trace to be created with either the options or the filename to be null;
it's wierd that you are able to see that.

i tried stuff like stopping my example traces, but that just changes the status; doesn't affect teh otehr parameter values.

Yes, that's what I thought when I saw that. I am not sure whether they are running or not. As value for property 5 is 1, they must be runinng but then where are they putting this trace data Hehe?

Sujeet Singh
Jared Karney
Jared Karney
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Strange... What about the TRACE_PRODUCE_BLACKBOX option?

From BOL: No filename can be specified. The file will be saved as: N'%SQLDIR%\MSSQL\DATA\blackbox.trc'

Don't have time to set one up and test it, but maybe that is what is going on?

Thanks,
Jared
PFE - Microsoft
SQL Know-It-All
How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden
Divine Flame
Divine Flame
SSCarpal Tunnel

After digging in it looks like it is not a server side trace or a profiler trace. When checked from sys.dm_exec_sessions the host process is SQL Server Analysis Services & from sys.dm_exec_requests wait_type is TraceWrite.

I am still not sure what kind of trace it could be or if traces could be run by Analysis Services?

Sujeet Singh
Divine Flame
Divine Flame
SSCarpal Tunnel

Okay, I think I got it now :-). These are special traces run by SQL Server to provide proactive caching & notifications to SSAS.

It is well explained on jason's blog here & on following MSDN links:

1. Notifications to SSAS
2. Proactive Caching

Sujeet Singh
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.