SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Problem using expression in SSIS

Problem using expression in SSIS

Author
Devesh_Srivastava
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

Below is the expression i am trying to make work :

substring ("Archive_Full_20120731200002",1, (FINDSTRING( "Archive_Full_20120731200002","Full_", 1)-2))

Whe I use the exact string(Archive_Full_20120731200002) , I get the required result i.e Archive
But when I use a variable which contains th same string, the above expression gives the error that
Substring can allow -ve integer values( Here -2)

Please help me in this regard. I need to use a variable here and get it work.

Your help is appreciated!!!

Thanks
Devesh
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

Please post the expression which you tried - the one which gives the error.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Devesh_Srivastava
Devesh_Srivastava
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

Below is the expression to be evaluated:

Substring (@Variable,1, (FINDSTRING( @Variable,"Full_", 1)-2))

@Variable is the variable containing the exact string 'Archive_Full_20120731200003'

But when i used this as a expression, it gives the error that substring does not allow -ve integer values.

Kindly help.
herladygeekedness
herladygeekedness
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)

Substring cannot take negative values for the length argument.
Devesh_Srivastava
Devesh_Srivastava
Valued Member

substring ("Archive_Full_20120731200002",1, (FINDSTRING( "Archive_Full_20120731200002","Full_", 1)-2))

Then how come the above expression is working where the exact string is used instead of a variable and still negative value is accepted!!! Does it make sense ?
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

Works for me. I suspect that you may have got your variable syntax wrong. Here is my version:

Substring (@[User::TestString],1, (FINDSTRING(@[User::TestString] ,"Full_", 1)-2))

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
herladygeekedness
herladygeekedness
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (522 reputation)

Devesh_Srivastava (8/1/2012)

Then how come the above expression is working where the exact string is used instead of a variable and still negative value is accepted!!! Does it make sense ?

Good question. I only know that when attempting to put in a negative value for length in a much simpler expression, it errored on negative value of length parameter.
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCoach

herladygeekedness (8/2/2012)
Devesh_Srivastava (8/1/2012)

Good question. I only know that when attempting to put in a negative value for length in a much simpler expression, it errored on negative value of length parameter.

The result of

FINDSTRING( "Archive_Full_20120731200002","Full_", 1) -2

is 7. That's not a negative value where I come from :-)

herladygeekedness
herladygeekedness
Mr or Mrs. 500

Not talking about the result, talking about the length argument.

I created a simple expression using -2 as length and was unable to save the expression due to "length cannot accept negative number" (okay, not a direct quote, but teh error was specific and when I changed length to positive number, no issues).
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCoach

herladygeekedness (8/2/2012)
Not talking about the result, talking about the length argument.

I created a simple expression using -2 as length and was unable to save the expression due to "length cannot accept negative number" (okay, not a direct quote, but teh error was specific and when I changed length to positive number, no issues).

??

The expression I quoted was only the length argument - from the OP's example.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.