SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

XML index

XML index

Author
Ravi SQL
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item XML index

Regards,
Ravi.
kapfundestanley
kapfundestanley
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Thank you,I have learnt something.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris
Michael Riemer
Michael Riemer
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

kapfundestanley (7/17/2012)
Thank you,I have learnt something.

Me too - great question to make us thinkg and research.:-D
PRAMANA.DBA
PRAMANA.DBA
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Nice question ....
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)

Very good question. Made think a bit as I knew I had read this some where. Glad I remembered correctly!

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Interesting question, thanks, Ravi.
Had to do my homework on this.

DugyC
DugyC
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Great question thanks

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Thanks for the question. There is also information on this topic in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191497(SQL.90).aspx

Edited to correct stupid tag mistake!

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)

Learned something today from a good question, although it was fairly easy to deduce the correct answer. Given the binary nature of computers the max number of columns without an xml index would likely be 16 or 32. At the very least it would be an even number. Then given that there was a question it strongly indicates that the xml index must take at least one of the available columns away. From the possible answers there was only 1 odd number. I of course chose the "oddball" answer, being the only logical choice and I was correct. My initial thought honestly was that if I got it wrong I didn't really mind too much because I would never make a clustered index cover that many columns. :-D

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Cliff Jones
Cliff Jones
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

Sean Lange (7/17/2012)
Learned something today from a good question, although it was fairly easy to deduce the correct answer. Given the binary nature of computers the max number of columns without an xml index would likely be 16 or 32. At the very least it would be an even number. Then given that there was a question it strongly indicates that the xml index must take at least one of the available columns away. From the possible answers there was only 1 odd number. I of course chose the "oddball" answer, being the only logical choice and I was correct. My initial thought honestly was that if I got it wrong I didn't really mind too much because I would never make a clustered index cover that many columns. :-D

Yes, I think 15 is plenty.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.