SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Dealing with Addresses

Dealing with Addresses

Author
Dave Poole
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/dpoole/dealingwithaddresses.asp

LinkedIn Profile
www.simple-talk.com
SteveB-74825
SteveB-74825
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
This is pretty wierd as I started working on exactly the same kind of project today, and my comapny is also too poor to afford the PAF files ...

I have over 30,000 addresses and need to match them to 10,000 customers. I still need to add the 30,000 and then have a hierarchy of 30,000 including the 10,000 customers. As I match I need to update the address from the 30,000 file ( as that is more accurate).
The 10,000 customers come from a Cache database and are stored in a different format to the 30,000. The 30,000 (when extracted) are actually in a condensed form of the addreses you dealt with (e.g. if the address consisted of 4 fields the Country would be the last, whereas the next address may consist of 7 fields with the Country the last).

I must admit that most of the suggestions where in the idea box already (Great minds eh?) but I hadn't thought of using Soundex, which I am going to look at now. The merging program will be written in C# and I would be extremely grateful if you would consider swapping notes. If you would please contact me.

I'll post any tips I come across,

Steve

Steve Brett

cheers

dbgeezer
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.