Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What, when and who? Auditing 101 - Part 3

What, when and who? Auditing 101 - Part 3

Author
Roy Ernest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item What, when and who? Auditing 101 - Part 3

-Roy
bmcateer
bmcateer
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

You have a typo in your code: "WriteToApllicationLog" ;-)
computrion
computrion
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Very nice feature and article, this will full fill so many cases but for some real auditing this needs to be get more matured.

I have two informations to share here, one is good and the other one is bad.

first the good one.
SQLCat has build some code to collect audited data, which can be modified as per need.

http://sqlcat.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=sqlauditcentral&referringTitle=Home

secondly the bad thing.
We have some limitations of seeing parameterized value, sometimes (in my case most of the time) SQL audit is unable to capture the actual value, which was passes using variable to stored procedure or sql query.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/624935/sql-server-2008-database-audit-on-insert-update-and-delete-actual-sql-and-not-parameter-values

Bye.
Achilies
Achilies
Old Hand
Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)Old Hand (327 reputation)

Can you please also make an article how to take the sql audit logs to a sql table using ssis/whichever way is easier?

Thanks.
Roy Ernest
Roy Ernest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

bmcateer (5/31/2012)
You have a typo in your code: "WriteToApllicationLog" ;-)

Thx for pointing it out. :-) Next time I will be more careful. :-)

-Roy
Roy Ernest
Roy Ernest
Hall of Fame

Hi Computrion, Thx for links. Yes, I noticed that the SQL Audit does not catch all the values.

-Roy
Roy Ernest
Roy Ernest
Hall of Fame

Beginner2008, Thx. You gave me an idea for the next article. I will try to do one regarding capturing the auditing data and writing it to a Table.

-Roy
jfogel
jfogel
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)

UPDATE [dbo].[tbProducts] set [ProductCost] = @1 WHERE [ProductID]=@2

For my test using 2008 R2 I actually got the values used in the update statement and not variables. I got:

update dbo.tbProducts Set ProductCost = 2750 where ProductID = 1

Is this a 2008 vs R2 thing?

Cheers
Roy Ernest
Roy Ernest
Hall of Fame

Yes it is. The behavior changes even for different level of Service packs unfortunately.

-Roy
jfogel
jfogel
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)

Noted. Thanks for the article.

Cheers
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.