SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Sql Server 2012 can't see 2nd drive

Sql Server 2012 can't see 2nd drive

Author
knightdragon89
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I'm having the same problem.
Server 2012 standard edition
SQL Server 2012 enterprise edition
a domain service account, which is also in the server's local administrator group
the domain service account is a sysadmin in MSSQL
SQL Server is in mixed mode

when I run the MSSQLSERVER service as the domain service account, I can only see the C drive from within MSSQL
when I run the service as Local System account, I can see all of my drives

It 'seems' that things run as local system account, but I "need" it to run as a domain service account so I can use ALWAYSON.
Any thoughts or ideas? I'm at a loss.
machine2473
machine2473
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)

Same issue here.

SQL 2012 Enterprise w/ SP1, installed and running on Windows Server 2012 Standard.
The per-service SIDs were added with full control to the drives/folders set aside for user databases but the instance is still unable to "see" the non-C: drives.
dmccosh
dmccosh
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)

I'm Having the exact same problem too!!

As a test I installed SQL 2012 on 2008R2 without issue (using the same "vanilla install" & service accounts (domain))

Both machines are VM's (running on ESX5)

Trying to figure out where the source of the problem is - looks more like a Windows Server 2012 or Hypervisor issue....

Anyone experiencing anything similar?
machine2473
machine2473
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)

Ours is on a Windows Server 2012 VM also.
dmccosh
dmccosh
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)

Group policy was the problem in our case, try putting your win server in an Ou that inherits no group policy, we were having problems with "audit object access"
Kudikai
Kudikai
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)

We ran into a similar problem when installing SQL 2012 on a Server 2012 VMWare ESXi 5.x host. The audit policy was our first thought and with enterprise GPOs pushing that out we searched for other solutions. What ended up fixing it was a VMWare setting change.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012225

Another symptom that pointed us at VMWare was that only the C$ admin share was accessible. None of the other drive admin shares worked. Turning off this hot swap setting fixed it for us.

I hope that saves someone the days we spent troubleshooting it.
Paul Kalinski
Paul Kalinski
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)

Thanks heaps Kudikai the vmware fix worked for me
machine2473
machine2473
SSC Rookie

Kudikai's VM config change worked for us, too.

Indeed Kudikai is a SQL god, and a chorus of angels descended to trumpet the miracle.
james 93738
james 93738
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)

Kudikai (12/3/2012)
We ran into a similar problem when installing SQL 2012 on a Server 2012 VMWare ESXi 5.x host. The audit policy was our first thought and with enterprise GPOs pushing that out we searched for other solutions. What ended up fixing it was a VMWare setting change.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012225

Another symptom that pointed us at VMWare was that only the C$ admin share was accessible. None of the other drive admin shares worked. Turning off this hot swap setting fixed it for us.

I hope that saves someone the days we spent troubleshooting it.

You are officially my hero right now, while unfortunately it didn't save me days of troubleshooting, it did save me. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/a576aa0e-5a08-4c9c-a583-af1815cd8b8e I have been beating my head against a wall regarding my issue in that thread, and your solution fixed it. Slightly different issue but same scenario, thanks!
Express12
Express12
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Applying the VMWare KB fix worked for us: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012225

thank you..

BT
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.