Hi all. I was recently offered for SQL developer position and BI specialist position, and I would like to get some advice.
I have general understanding of BI (CUBE/DW design concept etc.). I have some experience in SSIS, SSRS, SharePoint. Very limited Database development experience.
BI Specialist Position:
- One man department.
- No in-house SQL/C#/.net developer. Must do everything by myself.
- Relaxed/stress free work environment.
- No immediate need for BI solution, would like to slowly build something for the future.
- SharePoint exposure. (Wants me to admin and implement SharePoint)
- I can evaluate and have access to any BI tools.
- 65K salary
- Deals with large database
- Lot of TSQL/Query optimization/index/Stored procedure/SSIS etc. Only focus on DB development
- Amazing senior developers to learn from (Gave me amazing DB index lecture during interview!)
- Some exposure to BI, but majority of BI architect will be done by business analysts.
- High paced work environment.
- 80k salary
At my work, my MIS director thinks developers are like 'commodity'. There are many SQL developers on the market. But BI specialist is not. He also thinks SharePoint and BI is becoming very popular, so even with less salary, he thinks BI specialist position will help my career.
If my career goal is to become a BI architecture, which job is better for my career path?
Thank you for reading this.