SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

sqlmaint.exe failed. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 22029). The step failed.

Author
Cary P. Thrasher
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

At my Company, I set up a Maintenence Plan to back up one of our Databases (quite large) prior to the monthend processing. This was to ensure if data needed prior to month end load, data would be avaialble. I can run this myself and it works fine, but as a scheduled job it received this error. Does anyone know the answer to this. Additional info is that I set the plan to delete any backup old than three months, which hasn't been reached yet.

Error received -

Diarmuid Hurley
Diarmuid Hurley
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

I've had the very same error occur in the last couple of weeks - I spent some time on the Microsoft Website (Uncle Bill's Domain) and it seems that it relates to the ability of the server to take the database into single-user mode (which it allegedly needs to perform some maintenance tasks (integrity checks in my case)). On my SQL box, it seems that a BackupExec job runs under the NT System Account on the SQL's local OS - this is preventing single-user mode. We are currently looking to kill this BackupExec job for a couple of hours on a Sunday so that the integrity checks can be run. I hope this helps,

Diarmuid.

joshcsmith13
joshcsmith13
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)

good luck! I've had an open issue with MS for over a month now, trying to get this figured out. And I'm only dealing with a one user local MSDE setup. What I can tell you from my experience, is that if I configure the MSSQLSERVER service to run under a Domain\User account that has admin priveledges to the machine, everything works fine. When I put MSSQLSERVER back to Local System, it fails every time, regardless of who initiates the job. The same configuration (Account = Local System) works wonderfully for the other 95% of my users.
In short, the workaround for me was to set the MSSQLSERVER service to run under the user's WinNT Domain\User account. Be warned though, that changing the users password may have detrimental consequences. I haven't tested that.
If I ever get my schedule to match with my helpful MS engineers' and figure out the problem, I'll let you know.

cheetah2399
cheetah2399
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)

Have you checked the maint plan history to see where the failure occured and what may have been successful? I have found that it is very helpful on telling you what went wrong, which for me was usually a wrong setting. Try this article to see if it will help.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288577

sivaprasad
sivaprasad
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)

I also faced this problem when i schedule a database optimization jon on SQL 7.0 with Sp2 box. Clueless about what cause the problem.

- S Sivaprasad

Sivaprasad S - [ SIVA ]http://sivasql.blogspot.com/
Diarmuid Hurley
Diarmuid Hurley
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

Strangely enough - I have since deleted the job, re-created it (exactly the same tasks as before) and all is now running well.

Diarmuid

Mohammad Sufian
Mohammad Sufian
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)

Some days back, me too had the same error in my plan, and on my standby server i deleted some old backups, and then again restarted my job..it worked fine then..i believe it was due to lack of space but the error thrown is misleading..
jdalonzo
jdalonzo
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)

I'm having the same problem during the optimization step of one on the db on a server. The server has 300 GB free space and nothing else is running at the time. All of the other db on this server have the same plans (run as the same user, backup to the same directory,) but they all work fine. Any ideas what I'm missing? Thanks.

joshcsmith13
joshcsmith13
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)SSChasing Mays (605 reputation)

fyi. the resolution to my error was to register SQLDMO.DLL in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn. Apparently, due to in improper installation, the dll was not registered for all users of the system.

sivaprasad
sivaprasad
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (555 reputation)

Have a look on this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q288577

Sivaprasad S - [ SIVA ]http://sivasql.blogspot.com/
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.