SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Aggregate Function Product()

Aggregate Function Product()

Author
pmcpherson
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (185 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Aggregate Function Product()
SwePeso
SwePeso
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

I hate to be the party pooper but change one value to a negative value and try again.
Also see http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/peterl/archive/2008/11/19/How-to-get-the-productsum-from-a-table.aspx

N 56°04'39.16"
E 12°55'05.25"
Mike McIver
Mike McIver
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)

Maybe this to account for signs . . .
EXP(SUM(LOG(ABS([RowValue])))) * SIGN(CHECKSUM_AGG([RowValue]))

Mike
MacroTrenz.Com
LinkedIn
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

The method in the article is only good for positive (>0) values. Here is a formula that works for zeroes and negatives as well:

COALESCE(EXP(SUM(LOG(ABS(NULLIF(val, 0))))),0) * (1 - 2 * (COUNT(CASE WHEN val < 0 THEN 1 END) % 2))

The first part uses NULLIF to replace 0 with NULL, ABS to change negative values to positive ones, then pours that into the log-based product formula (except that this one uses natural logarithms instead of 10-based logarithms). Because of NULL propagation, a single 0 in the input set (which is converted to NULL by NULLIF) will cause the result to be NULL; the COALESCE function fixes this by replacing NULL with 0. The result of this first part is the product of the absolute value of all numbers.

The second part of the formula counts the number of negative values in the input set, then calculates the remainder after division by 2 - resulting in 0 for an even number of negatives, and 1 for an odd number. This value is multiplied by 2 and subtracted from 1, resulting in 1 if there's an even number of negatives, and -1 if there's an odd number. Multiply this by the product of the absolute values to get the final answer.

I first saw this technique in a book by Itzik Ben-Gan (who else?). I now had to google for it, and found my first hit in a comment by Rob Farley to this blog post by Michael Coles - though I did change and simplify Rob's version a bit - he had omitted the COALESCE and instead used a count of the number of zero values - a technique that I don't understand and that, frankly, probably doesn't work.

One problem with this approach is that there is no way to distinguish a NULL that was introduced by the ISNULL (and hence was a 0 at first) from a NULL that was already NULL in the input set, so the result will be 0 if one of the input values is NULL, whereas the proper result would be either NULL (if you want to include the NULL input in the calculation), or the product of the non-NULL values (if you want the aggregate to work like all other aggregates do). I guess the best way to fix this would be to exclude NULL values in the WHERE clause, or to add some extra CASE expressions.

I als found a more readable version that uses the same technique, but broken down into steps, in a reply to this post on stackoverflow. This reply was posted by gbn.
SELECT
GrpID,
CASE
WHEN MinVal = 0 THEN 0
WHEN Neg % 2 = 1 THEN -1 * EXP(ABSMult)
ELSE EXP(ABSMult)
END
FROM
(
SELECT
GrpID,
--log of +ve row values
SUM(LOG(ABS(NULLIF(Value, 0)))) AS ABSMult,
--count of -ve values. Even = +ve result.
SUM(SIGN(CASE WHEN Value < 0 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)) AS Neg,
--anything * zero = zero
MIN(ABS(Value)) AS MinVal
FROM
Mytable
GROUP BY
GrpID
) foo

This version is more readable, but has the same problem with NULL versions as the compact version above.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

I just saw the answer by Mike. I like the more compact way to get the multiplication factor (CHECKSUM_AGG), but I'm also a bit concerned - I could not find any documentation (at least not in the 30 seconds I spent searching -I know, pathetic!-) that this aggregate guarantees a negative result if the number of negative input values is odd, and a positive result otherwise. Without such documentation, this method appears to be less safe.

And a final comment regarding the original article that I forgot in my previous post:

"Notice the decimal point after the first argument of the power function. You need it to force a precession of 18 so that 4 * 2 equal 8 instead of 7."

The decimal point does not force a precision of 18, it forces the use of non-integer (numeric(5,2) to be precise). Without this, all numbers after the decimal place are cut off. That's why most versions of this algorithm on the internet use natural logarithm rather than 10-based logarithm - that one always uses non-integer calculation.

Paul White
Paul White
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)

We use a CLR aggregate for this.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
archie flockhart
archie flockhart
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

I'd be interested to know what problems require the calculation of a product from each row in a query in this way.

Presumably also, you'd need to be aware of the number of values and size of values that are expected - it wouldn't take very many numbers multiplied together for the product to get very large. (Or very small, if the numbers being multiplied are between -1 and 1 )
Dave Poole
Dave Poole
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

archie flockhart (2/6/2012)
I'd be interested to know what problems require the calculation of a product from each row in a query in this way.

Calculating correlation statistics

LinkedIn Profile
www.simple-talk.com
archie flockhart
archie flockhart
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

David.Poole (2/6/2012)

Calculating correlation statistics

It's been a long time since I did any correlations but I can't remember needing to get a product of all the numbers in a dataset, and a quick google for the formulas didn't throw up anything that required Product( X1 .. Xn)

Can you point me at more details ?
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
One Orange Chip

Presumably also, you'd need to be aware of the number of values and size of values that are expected - it wouldn't take very many numbers multiplied together for the product to get very large. (Or very small, if the numbers being multiplied are between -1 and 1 )

If I ever need to do this for real, I'll amost certainly add a CAST to float, to make sure that results of virtually all sizes can be represented.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.