Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Export memo field to Excel truncates values

Export memo field to Excel truncates values

Author
WendellB
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)SSC Veteran (247 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Well, it looks like you have the latest Office service pack. Unfortunately I'm not able to duplicate your problem when using Memo fields - as long as I don't do any sorting or grouping or using joins with the memo field. I think it must come from the IIF() function that you are using, but why that should affect the output is a mystery. Hopefully somebody else will have a suggetion to try.

As an aside, is there a reason for doing this in Access rather than Excel? It's fairly easy to creat an Excel workbook with references other workbooks and will tell you where there are differences, etc.

Wendell
Colorful Colorado
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!
npranj
npranj
Valued Member
Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thats for your time... yes there was a reason to use Access as data manipulation which would be required later would be easier using queries.

I fixed my issue... by revamping the total code.

1. I created tables in access.. whereever I knew that the field size would be > 255, I made those column memo.
2. I wrote a VBA script to read the data cell-be-cell from excel file and insert into table.
3. on the click of another button, teh VBA code uses DoCmd and executes a query.. In the query - I have broken the Description filed into 5 - so the queyr looks somewhat like -

Description, MID(Description,1,250) as D1, MID(Description,251,250) as D2,MID(Description,501,250) as D3, MID(Description,751,250) as D4,

4. After populating the results in excel file using DoCmd - I wrote VBA script to
1. concatenate the D1,D2,D3,D4 values and display that in the Description field.
2. delete the D1,D2,D3,D4 fields. The deletion was sequenced in the reverse order to ensure no column reference changed post deletion of columns.

Thanks all for your help.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.