Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Try Some New Tools This Month

Try Some New Tools This Month

Author
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Try Some New Tools This Month

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Robert.Sterbal
Robert.Sterbal
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I use the sysinternals suite of utilities virtually every day. I'm more like a production dba and troubleshooter then a developer. I'd like to start using a wikii at home, though I haven't found the one to start on yet.
terrance.steadman
terrance.steadman
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)

Greetings,

I remember using DropBox back when it was still beta. Definitely a great program to have. Unfortunately, I can't use it at my current worksite. A few programs that I do use are IrfanView (link) and NotePad++ (link). IrfanView is a speedy graphics viewer with some simple editing abilities. I use it for converting graphic types or saving screen shots easily. Also works fast when loading and viewing a directory of graphic files. NotePad++ is a very nice multi tabbed text editor with a large number of options and extras. One of the few text editors that can do columnar cut and paste. Both of these programs carry a cost that is suitable to the thrifty developer or DBA - FREE! :-D

Take care all.

Terry Steadman
Scott Murray-240410
Scott Murray-240410
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)SSC Veteran (249 reputation)

I like several free apps...

doPDF7... virtual pdf print driver or cutepdf
foxit reader... quick pdf reader
7zip... for compression
Q-dir... alternative to windows explorer

Agent ransack... alternative search tool; not indexed
chrisn-585491
chrisn-585491
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)SSC Eights! (964 reputation)

Free Tools:

Notepad ++
CSVed
gpg4win
FileZilla
WinSCP
Mercurial
TortoiseHg
SQLite
Mono
Frank W Fulton Jr
Frank W Fulton Jr
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)

The Most important piece of software I have is VMWare Workstation, I have used it for over 10 years and don't think I could compute with out it
stephen99999
stephen99999
Valued Member
Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)

As a jr. SQL dev, I had never gotten the chance to use some of the redgate tools. Earlier this month I checked out SQL Search (http://bit.ly/e6JRtf), and wow, just wow! Hopefully in the future I will get to be able to use some of their non-free stuff Cool

Also, starting up my own company with some buddies of mine we had a need for free project collaboration/management (startup with no angel fund... just yet!). So after scoping and exploring for something that was so easy a dingo could do it (buddies are not tech savvy), I came across two sites that rock!

For coordination of tasks, schedules, events, files, etc, we started using www.hitask.com. It is fantastic and free! Very user friendly. Never once did I have to read the help page except for a few advanced stuff recently.

For collaboration we found www.vyew.com. Thanks to the kids at berkely on this one! Simple, awesome, and amazing whiteboard-style meeting web app. Not only can you do mic/webcam for meetings, but also import files, pics, screenshots, or webpages and doodle/write on them. Plus the awesome whiteboard and... its free.
TravisDBA
TravisDBA
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Andy, speaking of Password Managers. The best FREE Password Manager I have found is KeePass. A DBA has to manage alot of changing passwords and he/she has to have a good secure repository to keep them and this is the best I have found yet and it is FREE and OSI certified as well. It also has a great Password Generator too. :-D

http://keepass.info/

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"
sloppypoet
sloppypoet
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (100 reputation)

Notepad++
RedGate SQLCompare
RedGate SQLSearch

All are indispensible tools in my book.
ryk 98103
ryk 98103
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)

The utility I use more than any other is SlickRun, a command/application launcher that saves me a ton of time every day. By typing a two or three-letter combination, I can launch any application, URL, folder -- anything!

http://www.bayden.com/slickrun/
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.