SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Christmas Fun

Christmas Fun

Author
Chris York
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Rudolph was to "guide the sleigh tonight" not pull the sleigh. Technically there 8 that pulled and one that guide. In the story, Rudolph was to small to play in the games.
Nakul Vachhrajani
Nakul Vachhrajani
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

SQL Kiwi (12/25/2011)
Interesting - I cheated, obviously, and found there are nine, but it appears eight is also right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus%27s_reindeer

Well, I cheated too! :-) I knew about Rudolph, Vixen and Cupid, but not the rest.

Loved the idea about representing the answer in binary.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Thanks & Regards,
Nakul Vachhrajani.
http://nakulvachhrajani.com
Be courteous. Drive responsibly.

Follow me on
Twitter: @sqltwins
Google Plus: +Nakul
cld0
cld0
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)

There is nothing more aggravating than having a question with two correct answers and having the person posting the question selecting the answer based on their own bias.

Grinch
Peter Schott
Peter Schott
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

I was thinking the same thing - to Americans, we can have two correct answers. I didn't even try to research that to see what other cultures might think. I went with 9 just because I figure most kids now think of the 8 named reindeer and add Rudolf without pausing. I'd agree that those who chose 8 should also get credit and I think the argument for 10 has some merit as well, though Baum's Santa Claus / reindeer is not really well known.
EL Jerry
EL Jerry
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Hi!!!

As far as I understood, the layout of the reindeer pulling the sleigh was something like this:

+------+Dasher--Prancer-Comet--Donner--+
|SLEIGH|...............................>--Rudolph
+------+Dancer--Vixen---Cupid--Blitzen-+

Not sure about the order of the first 8 reindeer, but as Rudolph would "guide" the sleigh using its bright nose, it would be on the very front of it.

Just my $0.02.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.
sharath.chalamgari
sharath.chalamgari
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Merry Christmas to all of you
:-)
call.copse
call.copse
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)

I was a bit disappointed to be docked for choosing what I thought the most official answer of 8. Some ambiguity there at least.
baabhu
baabhu
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Good One Steve. Merry Christmax.

-- Babu
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)

Nice one... Merry Christmas to all of you!!!!!
:-)

Ramon Jimenez
Ramon Jimenez
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)Right there with Babe (755 reputation)

Everybody who has seen Arthur Christmas knows that reindeer names are

Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, John, Bambi, "You with the white ear", "And You" and "you". ;-)

Regards Ramon
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.