Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Unable to retrieve column information from the data source Error msg SSIS

Unable to retrieve column information from the data source Error msg SSIS

Author
david.ostrander
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello -

I'm working on a SSIS Package I can Parse Query with no issue but as soon as I select OK I get the following message that is attached to this post.

I can take this same script and run it from SSMS with no issues and return data.

Thought or other ideas why I keep getting this?

Regards,
David
Attachments
SSIS Error Message.png (20 views, 35.00 KB)
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)

Could it be a problem with spaces in the column names?

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
david.ostrander
david.ostrander
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)

I wish it was that. I tried to remove the spaces with no such luck.

This is an image from the table that the view reads from (attached)
Attachments
SSIS Error Message2.png (25 views, 3.00 KB)
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)

david.ostrander (11/22/2011)
I wish it was that. I tried to remove the spaces with no such luck.

This is an image from the table that the view reads from (attached)

That's not a table definition - is it a view definition? Its columns have spaces in their names...

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
david.ostrander
david.ostrander
SSC Journeyman

If your asking am I querying a view for the SSIS package then yes I am.
Evil Kraig F
Evil Kraig F
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)

Confirm the metadata on the view is refreshed since the last changes. sp_refreshview

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
david.ostrander
david.ostrander
SSC Journeyman

Thank you I tried the sp_refreshview hgvTimeDataFetchWithRates_Rosetta it stated that it completed but I'm still getting the same errors.
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCrazy Eights

OK - but I asked about the column names and I'm not sure that you've tried what I suggested.

In your SQL for the extraction from the view, try aliasing the columns with spaces so that they have no spaces as far as SSIS is concerned:

[Cost Rate] CostRate,
[Line Item Status] LineItemStatus,
etc etc

david.ostrander
david.ostrander
SSC Journeyman

Thanks to everyone for the replies. We found out that the table name was wrong. Once it was changed to the right database it worked. But everyone gave me other things to try if we run into this again.

Thanks,
David
T Childers
T Childers
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Just in case anyone else has gotten here for the same reason I did which was you're trying to build an SSIS package based on a stored procedure that is selecting the data from a temporary table (Select column1, column2, column3 from #tablename).

If you can, it worked better if we used a table variable instead:
DECLARE @tablename
(Column1 varchar(10),
column2 varchar(10),
column3 varchar(10)
)

Of course, the problem with that is that the data is put all in memory instead of TempDB, but it did resolve our issue.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.