Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Output Parameter

Output Parameter

Author
shyam.kishore
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (235 reputation)SSC Veteran (235 reputation)SSC Veteran (235 reputation)SSC Veteran (235 reputation)SSC Veteran (235 reputation)SSC Veteran (235 reputation)SSC Veteran (235 reputation)SSC Veteran (235 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Output Parameter
bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Nice question - a good way to start my week

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
vk-kirov
vk-kirov
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

I don't like this question because 1) it has nothing to do with output parameters, 2) a 'SELECT TOP' statement does not guarantee output values without an 'ORDER BY' clause. Strictly speaking, the database engine may return any of the five values from the '@table' table. So both the 1st and the 2nd answers are possible correct answers (and the total number of those answers is 5^3 = 125).
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

I like the idea of the question, but it could have been worked out better, as vk-kirov mentioned.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)

+1 on the order by and 2 points on this one seemed like a little much ;-).
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/21/2011)

The 2 points is just to make your Mondays a bit more bearable :-)

My blog at SQLKover.

TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Koen Verbeeck (11/21/2011)

Fun question, but not to be taken too seriously (as the correct answer, as vvkirov pointed out, is "it depends...") and I agree that 2 points seems a bit much.

edit: I hate sticky shift keys.

Tom

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)

L' Eomot Inversé (11/21/2011)
Koen Verbeeck (11/21/2011)

Fun question, but not to be taken too seriously (as the correct answer, as vvkirov pointed out, is "it depends...") and I agree that 2 points seems a bit much.

I know it depends, but I'm getting sick of making that argument so I was hoping one of you guys would take care ot that! ;-)
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach

L' Eomot Inversé (11/21/2011)

Then don't waste so much time thinking what you are going to type while holding Shift. :-D
(it happens to me on a weekly basis)

My blog at SQLKover.

Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

I know it depends, but I'm getting sick of making that argument so I was hoping one of you guys would take care ot that! ;-)

I'll never tire of repeating this, until (hopefully) some day I don't have to do it anymore.
So here goes - without ORDER BY, there is no way to predict which of the five rows will be the TOP 1 row; answer options 1 and 2 are both correct (and there are lots of other correct answer options as well).

The explanation is also partially misleading.
"But if your replace the "SELECT TOP 1 t1 FROM @table" with "SET @ReorderPoint= (SELECT TOP 1 t1 FROM @table)", it give error message like "Error converting data type varchar to int.". "
Well - it may do that. But if the row that happens to be returned by the TOP 1 without ORDER BY is one of the rows with t1 equal to 145.87, 1059.31, or 38.49, it will happily convert taht value from varchar to int (or decimal, or float).

Finally, the "TOP 1" syntax is still supported, but Microsoft recommends against using it. In the officianl syntax, parentheses are required: "TOP (1)".
See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189463.aspx

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.