Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Parameters

Parameters

Author
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I skipped right over that Declare + Set and the fact that it was for 2005 and up since I had been doing that kind of set for some time in 2008. I guess that is lucky??

Nice question idea.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Robert.Hoffmann
Robert.Hoffmann
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)SSC Veteran (238 reputation)

Wouldn't the example given also error out if for some reason a Customer had more than one CustomerRefNo returned?
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

Robert.Hoffman (11/3/2011)
Wouldn't the example given also error out if for some reason a Customer had more than one CustomerRefNo returned?

No. In that case, it would (more or less random (*)) select one of the RefNo values and return that one.

(*) To be precies, it would process them all, assigning them to the variable in turn, each time overwriting the previous assignment. Only the last assignment would stick, so the value returned would be from the row that happens to be processed last - which, in the absence of an ORDER BY, can be any row.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Ken Wymore
Ken Wymore
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Nice question. I avoid linked servers whenever possible so this was new to me. Thanks!
Rob Schripsema
Rob Schripsema
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Great question. Learned SEVERAL things.

The more one learns, the more one realizes how little he knows...

Rob Schripsema
Propack, Inc.
Revenant
Revenant
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)

L' Eomot Inversé (11/3/2011)
Nice question. Pity it says 2005 onwards instead of 2008 onwards, as none of the answers match 2005 behaviour. ...

Exactly - it threw me for a loop...
john.arnott
john.arnott
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Thank you for this mini-lesson in dynamic SQL. And don't fret too much over the minor glitches -- I know from experience that it's a lot harder than it looks to compose a QOD that no one finds anything to complain about.
OzYbOi d(-_-)b
OzYbOi d(-_-)b
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Good question - I don't work with linked servers often so this was a good one for me to reflect on - cheers! :-)
mtassin
mtassin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

MarkusB (11/3/2011)
I agree with Philip, non of the given answers is correct.

The question explicitly says 2005 or higher, but the result on a 2005 server is different from a 2008 server.

I'm with these guys... I was staring at it and saying over and over assigning values at variable declaration was a 2008 feature that I love, and something I knew you couldn't do with 2005.

I took a random guess since they were all wrong with 2005

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Kenneth.Fisher
Kenneth.Fisher
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

john.arnott (11/3/2011)
Thank you for this mini-lesson in dynamic SQL. And don't fret too much over the minor glitches -- I know from experience that it's a lot harder than it looks to compose a QOD that no one finds anything to complain about.

I agree, excellent question, I tend to use sp_executesql so I learned a lot about EXEC. I also agree with John about the minor glitches. I've put in a couple of QoDs and you have to expect complaints. If you read the discussions you will find that most QoDs have anything from a handful of complaints on up.

Kenneth

Kenneth Fisher
I strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.