SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Extract multiple files with a MultiFlatFileConnection data flow task

Extract multiple files with a MultiFlatFileConnection data flow task

Author
Stan Kulp-439977
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Extract multiple files with a MultiFlatFileConnection data flow task
M.SrinivasaRao
M.SrinivasaRao
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Can we use different distination tables in the same connection

Regards
Srini
ahperez
ahperez
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)

Brilliant! I've read article after article looking for this trick and even taken a class that showed me a method using a "For Loop Container" to import at the files at once. This is the first time I've seen such a simple method. This will save me a huge amount of time.
Thanks!
MMartin1
MMartin1
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

An advantage of a for each loop is being able to count how many files you imported from with a script task in the same loop. I didn't see that here. But this method is simpler and seemingly easier.

----------------------------------------------------
How to post forum questions to get the best help
Stan Kulp-439977
Stan Kulp-439977
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

You could create a separate script task that would count the files in the various subdirectories using an array list containing the subdirectories you want to search along with the System.IO.DirectoryInfo method and write the result to a global variable.

Here is the code that you could use in the script task.

Imports System.Collections

Dim subdirs As New ArrayList

subdirs.Add("C:\dir1\")
subdirs.Add("C:\dir2\")
subdirs.Add("C:\dir3\")
subdirs.Add("C:\dir4\")
subdirs.Add("C:\dir5\")

Dim value As String
For Each value In subdirs

Dim di As New System.IO.DirectoryInfo(value )
Dim aryFi As IO.FileInfo() = di.GetFiles("MyFileNameRoot*")

Dim Count As Integer
For Each fi In aryFi
Count += 1
Next

Next

Dts.Variables("Count").Value = Count

You would have to create a global variable named Count and add it to the Read/Write variables in the Script Task Editor.

To learn a enough about script tasks and global variables to make it work you could refer to my previous article
Copy-and-Paste SSIS Execution Monitoring with Failure-Alert Email.
ahperez
ahperez
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)SSC-Addicted (474 reputation)

mmartin1 (10/20/2011)
An advantage of a for each loop is being able to count how many files you imported from with a script task in the same loop. I didn't see that here. But this method is simpler and seemingly easier.

Ah, I could see that might be useful. My next step is to run a select query that audits the staging table where the files imported. This lets me know both that all the client files imported and how many rows there were for each type of record in the imported files.
OceanDeep
OceanDeep
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (106 reputation)

It is good to know we can do this. Thanks. Can this technqiue use in the reverse? The data source is SQL table and output is multiple flat files. I have 60 flat files and currently I have to create 60 of these connection.
Guillermo Bertolaccini
Guillermo Bertolaccini
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Was up when no files match the mask myFile*.txt ?

When i do that with For Each file enumerator i can decide depending on the variable of forEach if the flow continues or not....

How was the way to stop the flow in case that no files are found.... ?

-Guille-

(Excusme my english... )
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.