SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SubQuery

SubQuery

Author
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SubQuery

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Andre Guerreiro
Andre Guerreiro
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Got it wrong.

I thought that there would be an error because the StudentId column has the alias "StudentNumber" inside the subquery and in line 25 it's being declared as StudentId again.

Interesting behaviour. Learned something new. Smile

Thank you for the question.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
http://www.softplan.com.br
MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA
Paul White
Paul White
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)

Happy to report that I am first to get this right.
I don't enjoy this sort of question though - I am a human, not a T-SQL parser.
The question could have made the same point, with the same learning value, much more simply.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)

SQL Kiwi (9/17/2011)
Happy to report that I am first to get this right.
I don't enjoy this sort of question though - I am a human, not a T-SQL parser.
The question could have made the same point, with the same learning value, much more simply.

It was due to that human nature (it is very easy for people to make a mistake in column aliasing as shown here) I wanted to demonstrate the question like this. As you said though, I could have given a much simpler example. This just happened to be one that I was working on as an answer to a forum question at the time of submission.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Paul White
Paul White
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)

SQLRNNR (9/17/2011)
...This just happened to be one that I was working on as an answer to a forum question at the time of submission.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
CoolCodeShare
CoolCodeShare
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Indeed, it's an interesting thing to learn. Thanks.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru

Sudhir Dwivedi (9/18/2011)
Indeed, it's an interesting thing to learn. Thanks.

You're welcome.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

vk-kirov
vk-kirov
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

Nice question.
I chose the third (wrong) answer because I didn't notice the DATE data type and thought it was DATETIME :-)
tommyh
tommyh
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

JOIN (SELECT StudentId as StudentNumber, max(RequestNbr) as RequestNb
FROM Request
GROUP BY StudentId) as Latest (StudentId, RequestNbr)
ON Request.StudentId = Latest.StudentId
AND Request.RequestNbr = Latest.RequestNbr

Just to clearify. The whole point was to point out that the bold parts dont match and that SQL instead is using the italic names in the join?

If above is true then read on... otherwise ignore:
I got the answer right for all the wrong reasons. I simply didnt see the change in the names. And it took one heck off a time to see the change in the names. When i first read the question i was so sure it would be something odd about the DATE datatype (since one answer had timeportion in it) or something with the MAX in the subquery. So i focused on that but couldnt find anything odd about it. So that left me with only one answer. Which was the right answer.

PS Im not being sarcastic or anything. I for one learned something... if my assumption is correct. Its just that in this case i feel like the point was drowned in code that wasnt relevant. Though atleast it made me think ALOT :-D

/T
Ian_McCann
Ian_McCann
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

DOH! Right answer, for the wrong reason.
I completely missed the aliases and selected the correct answer on the DATE type.
So I learnt something and won a checky point.
Making this my favorite QotD so far this week :-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.