Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Order By Clause

Order By Clause

Author
cengland0
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Order By Clause
bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)

Very nice question ... took a lot of careful reading and thinking ... in fact had to spend more than a few minutes to examine each query and darn near missed one .. but since it is an error I make frequently I finally recalled why .

Thanks for a good thought provoking question.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Nice question. Today i learn new thing.

Thanks
Vinay Kumar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!
www.GrowWithSql.com
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

I immediately get it right, because I often fall in these kind of errors.
Ian_McCann
Ian_McCann
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Good question. That woke me up.
Bex
Bex
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Well that got the brain cells working! Thanks, good question.

Bex
paul.knibbs
paul.knibbs
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Knew 4 would fail, but never heard of the problem that would cause #1 to not work...always nice to learn something new! (I mean, I realised the ORDER BY in the subquery was fairly redundant, but I never realised it would actively fail if you tried it).
archie flockhart
archie flockhart
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

#3 got me; didn't know that it would identify the correct column automatically in the order by clause. I would always specify the table in these circumstances, and thought that omitting it would give the same error as #4 . But checking in BOL, and running the query, it does work OK, based on matching up a unique item in the SELECT clause.

Not sure how consistent the definition is, though. BOL says:
In SQL Server, qualified column names and aliases are resolved to columns listed in the FROM clause. If order_by_expression is not qualified, the value must be unique among all columns listed in the SELECT statement.

But if I ORDER BY an unqualified fieldname from EmployeeAddress which is not listed in the Select , it still works. So it is allowing me to pick a field from a different table, without a table qualifier, even though the column is not listed in the SELECT.
malleswarareddy_m
malleswarareddy_m
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

I did not read the 4 the option properly.so i put 1 st option and got wrong.good question.I also so many times about ambigious cloumns.

Malleswarareddy
I.T.Analyst
MCITP(70-451)
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)

Good question, reminds everyone to handle order by with caution.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.