SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Installing SQL Server 2005

Installing SQL Server 2005

Author
DugyC
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Ah! an assumption... he he! not so clear then ;-)

SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Carlton Leach (7/29/2011)
SQL can't be installed on a single socket machine?

Carlton.
It can. One is a power of two (2^0).
According to the reference:

The ratio between logical processors and physical sockets is not a power of 2. For example, the computer has a single socket together with a triple-core processor.

Besides, the problem was fixed in SP2.
Rich Weissler
Rich Weissler
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

I figured the question came up because of a real life problem - and therefore assumed it probably DIDN'T install correctly... but I still picked that answer assuming I'd learn something new this morning. Thank you for the information and link!

I think the question was fair. Good job.
Nakul Vachhrajani
Nakul Vachhrajani
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Thank-you for the question. It is good to know that such a bug ever existed with SQL Server.

Thanks & Regards,
Nakul Vachhrajani.
http://nakulvachhrajani.com
Be courteous. Drive responsibly.

Follow me on
Twitter: @sqltwins
Google Plus: +Nakul
Britt Cluff
Britt Cluff
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Went for the obvious answer of installs correctly given the information provided.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/
GregoryF
GregoryF
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

This has bit me numerous times (including last week), now I make a habbit of changing the boot.ini file to one processor before all SQL 2005 installs on machine with an odd number of total processors or cores. That being said, one processor is an odd number, yet the install works

/* ----------------------------- */
Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
M&M
M&M
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)

It would be nice to have more questions like these. Good question. Thanks.

M&M
mtassin
mtassin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)

anthony.green (7/29/2011)
I would have to agree with Murray on this, it would have been nice to know which level of the product it relates to.

All the media I have been working with included SP2 as part of the disk so I have never encountered this issue.

Same here. Stating RTM SQL 2005 or SP1 2005 would have clarified it better. Alas...

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
mtassin
mtassin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)

Shark Energy (7/29/2011)
No excuses people I mean if follow the question in your head, it fails before you get to installing any SPx so follow the question and its all in front of you.

Not if you or a helpful netadmin slipstreamed the sp onto the RTM install media, or the disk you purchased to install came with SP2.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
mtassin
mtassin
SSCertifiable

Shark Energy (7/29/2011)
In the absence of an SP listed in the question for the SQL install, I'd assume he is referring to vanilla flavour.

Totally agreeing to disagree :-P

You can't assume RTM anymore than a specific SP as he didn't specify RTM either.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.