SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSRS expression switch/Else if

SSRS expression switch/Else if

Author
avitale
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
So i've been messing around with this all morning and i just can't quite figure it out. I have a parameter that can be one of two values. Either I or P.

So i need the title on the report to say one thing when I is chosen, one thing when P is chosen, and one thing when both are chosen (this is a multi select parameter)

This is what i currently have but it keeps coming up with #Error.

=Switch(Parameters!clmType.Value = "P","List of Professional Paper Claims ", Parameters!clmType.Value = "I","List of Institutional Paper Claims ", Parameters!clmType.Count > 1 ,"List of Professional & Institutional Paper Claims ")

I've also tried this

=Switch(Parameters!clmType.Value = "P","List of Professional Paper Claims ", Parameters!clmType.Value = "I","List of Institutional Paper Claims ", Parameters!clmType.Value = "P" and Parameters!clmType.Value = "I" ,"List of Professional & Institutional Paper Claims ")

Thanks!!

EDIT: Also would using a nested IIF work? not sure what that would look like, or the order of it.

Tried using this as a Nested IIF and still getting a #Error
=IIF(Parameters!clmType.Count > 1,"List of Professional & Institutional Paper Claims ", IIF(Parameters!clmType.Value = "P","List of Professional Paper Claims ","List of Institutional Paper Claims "))

I know it partially works because i used this and it worked as expected
=IIF(Parameters!clmType.Count > 1,"List of Professional & Institutional Paper Claims ", "only one picked")
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

avitale (7/20/2011)
So i've been messing around with this all morning and i just can't quite figure it out. I have a parameter that can be one of two values. Either I or P.

So i need the title on the report to say one thing when I is chosen, one thing when P is chosen, and one thing when both are chosen (this is a multi select parameter)

This is what i currently have but it keeps coming up with #Error.

=Switch(Parameters!clmType.Value = "P","List of Professional Paper Claims ", Parameters!clmType.Value = "I","List of Institutional Paper Claims ", Parameters!clmType.Count > 1 ,"List of Professional & Institutional Paper Claims ")

I've also tried this

=Switch(Parameters!clmType.Value = "P","List of Professional Paper Claims ", Parameters!clmType.Value = "I","List of Institutional Paper Claims ", Parameters!clmType.Value = "P" and Parameters!clmType.Value = "I" ,"List of Professional & Institutional Paper Claims ")

Thanks!!

EDIT: Also would using a nested IIF work? not sure what that would look like, or the order of it.

Try this variation of your first expression:
=Switch(Parameters!clmType.Value = "P","List of Professional Paper Claims ", Parameters!clmType.Value = "I","List of Institutional Paper Claims ", True,"List of Professional & Institutional Paper Claims ")
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Try this variation of your first expression:

=Switch(Parameters!clmType.Value = "P","List of Professional Paper Claims ", Parameters!clmType.Value = "I","List of Institutional Paper Claims ", True,"List of Professional & Institutional Paper Claims ")
avitale
avitale
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)

Daniel, i'm still getting an error using your code

Just FYI, this is the error i'm getting:

Overload resolution failed because no Public '=' can be called with these arguments:
'Public Shared Operator =(a As String, b As String) As Boolean':
Argument matching parameter 'a' cannot convert from 'Object()' to 'String'.
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCoach

Sorry I forgot this is a multi value parameter, they don't hold data the same as a single value parameter, so these comparisons will fail.

I can't really test this, but I think you need something like this:
=IIF(InStr(JOIN(Parameters!clmType.Value,","),"P") > 0,IIF(InStr(JOIN(Parameters!clmType.Value,","),"I") > 0,"List of Professional & Institutional Paper Claims ", "List of Professional Paper Claims "),"List of Institutional Paper Claims ")

Doulbe check I got the ( and the ) in the right places and the right quantity, it is hard to do this without the expression editor.
avitale
avitale
SSC-Addicted

This works perfectly! thanks so much!!!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.