SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Creating a 2 Node SQL Server 2008 Virtual Cluster Part 2

Creating a 2 Node SQL Server 2008 Virtual Cluster Part 2

Author
Perry Whittle
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Creating a 2 Node SQL Server 2008 Virtual Cluster Part 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
Thomas-105733
Thomas-105733
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)

Hi Perry,

can you explain the calculation for:

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY ALIGN = 256

IMHO W2k8 chose the right alignment self?

Thanks

Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

Thomas

it's not a given or set in stone or a recommendation, it's just an example i used for the diskpart tutorial. Windows 2008 applies a one size fits all and this is itself configurable through the Windows registry. Of course all this depends an other factors such a stripe size and NTFS cluster size. Did you like the article?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas-105733
Thomas-105733
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)SSC Rookie (29 reputation)

Hi Perry

your article is very profound and I love step by step tutorials with screenshots. I am using a similar configuration (StarWind free Target and VMWare Server) W2k8/W2k8R2 and MSSQL2k8/MSSQL2k8R2.

I have forgotten where to add the vmswitch in vmware an found your tutorial to solve the problem :-).

We are waiting for the next parts ..

ffoerster
ffoerster
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (150 reputation)

Hi, very nice article. I am currently - enough spare time permitted - experimenting on a similar setup, just using Hyper-V and a Synology NAS System (DS1511).

Just a few comments/questions:

- the screenshots could be bigger, at the current size they are a bit difficult to decipher
- are you saying that you add the iSCSI targets (quorum, sqldata, logs and back) to both installed server clusters?
- would you need to enable iSCSI MCS (multiple connections to same target/lun?)

With VMWare I recently made an interesting observation. If you do not presize your virtual disk and attempt to create a 10GB LDF (MS SQL Log File) on such a virtual hard disk performance will be very high and on the host system the VMDK will not really consume the 10GB. When using a preallocated VMDK disk performance will be considerably slow/normal.

Best,
Frank
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
One Orange Chip

ffoerster (7/12/2011)
- the screenshots could be bigger, at the current size they are a bit difficult to decipher

thank you for that feedback

ffoerster (7/12/2011)
- are you saying that you add the iSCSI targets (quorum, sqldata, logs and back) to both installed server clusters?

The targets need to be added to all nodes that will use them. In this case the 2 node cluster will support failover for a SQL Server instance, so both nodes need to have the LUNs unmasked

ffoerster (7/12/2011)
- would you need to enable iSCSI MCS (multiple connections to same target/lun?)

MPIO may be a better option, i didnt go into this fully as this tutuorial is designed to ease the reader in to clustering gradually

ffoerster (7/12/2011)
with VMWare I recently made an interesting observation. If you do not presize your virtual disk and attempt to create a 10GB LDF (MS SQL Log File) on such a virtual hard disk performance will be very high and on the host system the VMDK will not really consume the 10GB. When using a preallocated VMDK disk performance will be considerably slow/normal.

Best,
Frank

For the NAS data drives i use pre allocated virtual disks. LUNs are then created on the pre allocated drives.
Glad you enjoyed the article

Thomas-105733
Thomas-105733
SSC Rookie

Perry, how did you change/modify the names of the of the Networkadapter in Virtual Network Editor?

OK its clear. Its an after screenshot. You did it in the network connection from windows ..

MasterShion
MasterShion
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

Hi, the tutorial is interesting, I have a question, must I repeat the step "Attach the iSCSI" in the second node?

thanks
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
One Orange Chip

Thomas-105733 (7/12/2011)
Perry, how did you change/modify the names of the of the Networkadapter in Virtual Network Editor?

OK its clear. Its an after screenshot. You did it in the network connection from windows ..

Yes, rename the virtual adapters in windows network connections, then in VMWare server console click refresh networks list

MasterShion (7/12/2011)
Hi, the tutorial is interesting, I have a question, must I repeat the step "Attach the iSCSI" in the second node?

thanks

That is exactly what you must do for each cluster node that will participate in the failover of those resources

MasterShion
MasterShion
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

Thanks for your fast reply, I'll be testing your tutorial in a VM :-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.