Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Page compression

Page compression

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Page compression

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice question, but just one small problem:

"In prefix compression, does the entire prefix stored in the header need to match the data to be used?"
--> requires the answer NO to be correct

"In other words, if I have a prefix of "aaabcd" in the header and a data element of "aaabfgr" in a field, can prefix compression be applied?"
--> requires the answer YES to be correct

I chose NO, but apparently that was the wrong one, although I meant to answer the first question.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
khullargirish02
khullargirish02
Old Hand
Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)

The answers are different for each line.
In prefix compression, does the entire prefix stored in the header need to match the data to be used?
No
if I have a prefix of "aaabcd" in the header and a data element of "aaabfgr" in a field, can prefix compression be applied?
Yes..

I choose No, and it gave incorrect....Hehe
Chris Houghton
Chris Houghton
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)

khullargirish02 (5/27/2011)
In prefix compression, does the entire prefix stored in the header need to match the data to be used?
No
if I have a prefix of "aaabcd" in the header and a data element of "aaabfgr" in a field, can prefix compression be applied?
Yes..

Same here - I answered the first question as a no.Rolleyes
DugyC
DugyC
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Yep, 2 different questions with 2 different answers.

Fortunately for me I answered the second question, but I can understand the frustration for those that answered the first.

SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

I answered the second sentence, after reading the whole question (or, rather, both questions ;-)). But I did that with some trepidation, as guessing which of the two questions to answer wasn't a sure thing.

Very interesting question though. I used to assume that a full match was required and was startled to discover it wasn't (and because I found it startling, I remembered it).

Tom

M&M
M&M
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Thanks for the question

M&M
gsc_dba
gsc_dba
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Chris Houghton (5/27/2011)
khullargirish02 (5/27/2011)
No
Yes..

Same here - I answered the first question as a no.Rolleyes

And me too!
w00t

_____________________________________________________________________________________
[font=Courier New]gsc_dba[/font]
Kiara
Kiara
Old Hand
Old Hand (389 reputation)Old Hand (389 reputation)Old Hand (389 reputation)Old Hand (389 reputation)Old Hand (389 reputation)Old Hand (389 reputation)Old Hand (389 reputation)Old Hand (389 reputation)

Very good question topic. I learned something - which is always the point!

-Ki
OCTom
OCTom
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

It's impossible to answer this. My mind is in an infinite loop...
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.