Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Microsoft SQL Server Error Log Scanning

Microsoft SQL Server Error Log Scanning

Author
Rudy Panigas
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Microsoft SQL Server Error Log Scanning

James A Skipwith
James A Skipwith
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)

Very helpful article. I will certainly make use of this.

Cheers, James

James
MCM [@TheSQLPimp]
M&M
M&M
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Very useful article. I was looking for something like this for quite some time :-)

M&M
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

Good one...

hakkie42
hakkie42
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Aren't you missing a

USE [ErrorLogStorage]
GO

in the database creation script? When I ran it, it created the ErrLogData table in master...

Apart from that, a smart solution: why struggle with text files while you have a database :-)
abacrotto
abacrotto
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)

I'm sorry for asking something that simple. Why would you use a Cursor and a loop for updating the server when you can use an SQL UPDATE statement instead ?

Let's see the chunk of code:

-- Cycle through the ErrLogData table and insert the server's name
DECLARE SrvName_Cursor CURSOR FOR
SELECT [SQLServerName] FROM [ErrorLogStorage].[dbo].[ErrLogData] WHERE [SQLServerName] IS NULL
OPEN SrvName_Cursor
FETCH NEXT FROM SrvName_Cursor
WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
BEGIN
UPDATE [ErrorLogStorage].[dbo].[ErrLogData] SET [SQLServerName] = @@servername
FETCH NEXT FROM SrvName_Cursor
END
CLOSE SrvName_Cursor
DEALLOCATE SrvName_Cursor

I understand you are trying to update [ErrorLogStorage].[dbo].[ErrLogData].[SQLServerName] with @@servernave when that same column is null. Right ? Well, there is an UPDATE statement that can do the same thing without the cursor. It looks like this:

UPDATE
[ErrorLogStorage].[dbo].[ErrLogData]
SET
[SQLServerName] = @@servername
WHERE
[SQLServerName] IS NULL

This code is much simple and faster than the cursor one.
What do you think ?

Regards from Argentina, South America.
Ariel.
alen teplitsky
alen teplitsky
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

thx

i've been meaning to add this to my daily data collection. i'll probably just change the process to use SSIS to import data for numerous servers into a central database
Rudy Panigas
Rudy Panigas
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)

hakkie42 (2/14/2011)
Aren't you missing a

USE [ErrorLogStorage]
GO

in the database creation script? When I ran it, it created the ErrLogData table in master...

Apart from that, a smart solution: why struggle with text files while you have a database :-)

Yes, you are correct. I guess my "Copy and Paste" skills need more work.
I have updated the code with this correction.

Thanks,

Rudy

Rudy Panigas
Rudy Panigas
SSC-Addicted

abacrotto (2/14/2011)
I'm sorry for asking something that simple. Why would you use a Cursor and a loop for updating the server when you can use an SQL UPDATE statement instead ?

This code is much simple and faster than the cursor one.
What do you think ?

Regards from Argentina, South America.
Ariel.

Thanks Ariel. You are correct, the update command would work better. I should update the code.

Thanks for comments,

Rudy

Rudy Panigas
Rudy Panigas
SSC-Addicted

alen teplitsky (2/14/2011)
thx

i've been meaning to add this to my daily data collection. i'll probably just change the process to use SSIS to import data for numerous servers into a central database

Excellent idea! If you do write an SSIS package for this collection it would be nice to see it here.

Thanks,

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.