SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Connection Problems

Connection Problems

Author
Nils Gustav Stråbø
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
What security checking does sp_change_users_login do?
All it does is map a database user with a login. BOL says nothing about any security checking.
Toreador
Toreador
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

sp_helptext[sp_change_users_login] will reveal all :-)
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Nice question, but very easy indeed for those of us who have been moving databases from server to server for more than a decade.

Tom

Duncan Pryde
Duncan Pryde
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Toreador (2/7/2011)
sp_helptext[sp_change_users_login] will reveal all :-)

Presumably the permissions on ALTER USER will perform the required security checks on whether the user has permission to perform the action. The sp_change_users_login does seem to do quite a lot, but apart from listing the orphaned users in a database it should be possible to do everything with CREATE LOGIN and ALTER USER.
Duncan Pryde
Duncan Pryde
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Nils Gustav Stråbø (2/7/2011)
What security checking does sp_change_users_login do?
All it does is map a database user with a login. BOL says nothing about any security checking.

It does some checks on the user that is running the procedure. If it's not a member of the db_owner group it won't let you report or update one, and if the user isn't a member of sysadmin it won't let you auto fix.
DugyC
DugyC
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)

I thought "yeah I know this one, I've had this problem, don't even need to look it up"... but I guess with 71% getting it right it's quite a common issue.

Great question, nice start to the week. Cheers :-D

SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Toreador (2/7/2011)
I wonder why they are withrawing this procedure?

If I have to make a guess, it is probably because over the past years, there has been a consistent move away from stored procedures toward "real" SQL syntax. In SQL Server 2000 (IIRC), CREATE USER, ALTER USER, and DROP USER did not exist at all; there were stored procs for that as well. One by one, the old stored procs are being replaced.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

Toreador (2/7/2011)
I always use sp_change_users_login in these circumstances...

Ditto. I did get the correct answer, but that's not been my first choice of resolution in these instances.

Toreador (2/7/2011)

I wonder why they are withrawing this procedure? Anyone know if the replacement command does all the security checking that the procedure does?

And ditto again. I didn't realize (until I checked BOL) that this was deprecated. I haven't read page 2 of this thread yet, so if someone's already answered these questions, thank you. If the questions haven't been answered, could someone enlighten us?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (2/7/2011)
Toreador (2/7/2011)
I wonder why they are withrawing this procedure?

If I have to make a guess, it is probably because over the past years, there has been a consistent move away from stored procedures toward "real" SQL syntax.

Real SQL? Why in heavens name would any of us want to use "real" SQL? (And does it taste better than the genuine fake SQL?) w00t

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Rich Mechaber
Rich Mechaber
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Great question, thanks.

Minor clarification: the 2 hyperlinks listed at the bottom of the explanation didn't contain a notification about future deprecation of the SP (not that I could find, anyway).

That note is present on the page for sp_change_users_login at this location.

Rich
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.