SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Slipstreaming SP\CU During Setup

Slipstreaming SP\CU During Setup

Author
Perry Whittle
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Slipstreaming SP\CU During Setup

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
Kenneth A. Cucullu
Kenneth A. Cucullu
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)

Perry,

This was a very helpful article. We had just done several slip stream installs for the Microsoft Amalga product over the last few weeks and did the CUP4 install seperately. This procedure will save us that extra step on future installs.

Thanks very much.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)SSC Guru (144K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Nice job. Slipstreaming is a very handy feature and one I wish I'd had when we had to install new instances in the past.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)SSC Guru (53K reputation)

Glad you guys found this useful, i found it helped immensely when performing installs with the RTM media which had a few issues!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sknox
sknox
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)

Most of us by now have encountered the issues with the RTM SQL Server 2008 installation media...

Therefore some of us have not.

In the interest of sating my (perhaps irrational) curiosity, would you care to provide a summary or link to the issues in question? Thanks.

Regardless of that, this is a good introduction to slipstreaming. Thanks!
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSC Guru

sknox (12/28/2010)
Most of us by now have encountered the issues with the RTM SQL Server 2008 installation media...

Therefore some of us have not.

In the interest of sating my (perhaps irrational) curiosity, would you care to provide a summary or link to the issues in question? Thanks.

Regardless of that, this is a good introduction to slipstreaming. Thanks!

Remember also, slipstreaming the SP\CU will help decrease the deployment time for the SQL Server instance.
There are quite a few issues to be honest, the most notable ones are detailed at the following links

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957459

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955949

Glad this article could be of help to you.

m--S3qU3L
m--S3qU3L
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)SSC Eights! (810 reputation)

Nice article. Thanks for this.

I believe the failure of SQL Server 2008 RTM (Kerberos issue) pops up when we install SQL server 2008 on Windows 2008. I believe it works fine for SQL server 2008 on 2003 cluster.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

John
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSC Guru

m--S3qU3L (1/2/2011)
Nice article. Thanks for this.

No problem, glad you found this useful.

m--S3qU3L (1/2/2011)
I believe the failure of SQL Server 2008 RTM (Kerberos issue) pops up when we install SQL server 2008 on Windows 2008. I believe it works fine for SQL server 2008 on 2003 cluster.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As I said previously, there are so many various issues I think most people would have encountered a few of them at some point. I have only encountered this particular issue once and yes, i'm sure it was whilst installing to a Windows 2008 server. I always slipstream now so issues are generally at a minimum for me.

Lon-860191
Lon-860191
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Excellent article, I've always slipstreamed OS install media, didn't realize it was possible with SQL server.
Thanks,
Lon
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSC Guru

Lon-860191 (1/4/2011)
Excellent article, I've always slipstreamed OS install media, didn't realize it was possible with SQL server.
Thanks,
Lon

Only SQL2008 onwards ;-)

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.