SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Resume font ?

Resume font ?

Author
SQL Guy  1
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi all,

Here I want to ask a question about font for resume. What font is more impressive? I always used Time New Roman, but recently saw another guy's resume which had Arial. What fonts are you using and why ?

Thanks
Mansfield
Mansfield
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

These days the resume/CV is mostly being passed around as softcopy, so I use Arial as the lowest common denominator to preserve formatting.
Ray K
Ray K
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

I should run this question past my wife, who has a graphic design background, and often drives me nuts with her explanations about fonts! (Of course, I can fire back with stuff about SQL and OOP! ;-))

Anyway . . . on my last resume, I used Garamond. I figured that everyone and their brother used Times New Roman. I thought Garamond looked more elegant.

But, that's just me.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
‌Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/
Richard Warr
Richard Warr
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Anything apart from Comic Sans!

Unless you're applying for a job as a clown.

Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Believe it or not, a company I used to work for used Comic Sans as their official document template font...

Sorry for the topic hijack Smile
Richard Warr
Richard Warr
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Seriously, I'm with the Arial brigade. It's clear, crisp and universal. Don't use any background colours or anything else that may distract from what you're trying to say.

SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)

I also am in the Arial Brigade. It is simple to read without straining my tired old eyes.

IMHO - In addition to the font selection - also ensure that the font size is also readable. Resumes with the font to small go quickly into the disregard pile. If you want to highlight or bring out points - use bullets, bold, or italics instead of switching to another font.

Verdana is my font of choice, but for a resume - I would stick with Arial.

Joe
GSquared
GSquared
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (105K reputation)SSC Guru (105K reputation)SSC Guru (105K reputation)SSC Guru (105K reputation)SSC Guru (105K reputation)SSC Guru (105K reputation)SSC Guru (105K reputation)SSC Guru (105K reputation)

I've got a background in typesetting, and there are studies on serif vs sansserif fonts. Times variations are easier to read and look "more formal" per the studies, than Arial/Helvetica variations.

So, I have to vote for Wingdings .... :-D

But seriously, I use Times New Roman because of what I studied during my typesetting years. My resume is done up as a marketing piece, using scientific studies on marketing, and it got me six interviews in one week, and every one of those ended up with an offer. Based on that, I have to say the resume worked. Take that for what it's worth.

I definitely wouldn't attribute all of that to the font. It's a minor piece of the puzzle. But it is a piece of it.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
crookj
crookj
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)

GSquared (12/30/2010)
I've got a background in typesetting, and there are studies on serif vs sansserif fonts. Times variations are easier to read and look "more formal" per the studies, than Arial/Helvetica variations.

So, I have to vote for Wingdings .... :-D

But seriously, I use Times New Roman because of what I studied during my typesetting years. My resume is done up as a marketing piece, using scientific studies on marketing, and it got me six interviews in one week, and every one of those ended up with an offer. Based on that, I have to say the resume worked. Take that for what it's worth.

I definitely wouldn't attribute all of that to the font. It's a minor piece of the puzzle. But it is a piece of it.

So the question of the day is to Sans or Not To Sans. ;-)

I have also read them studies back in the college days of years past but I will stick with my Arial as it is easier on MY eyes.

Joe
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)

Personally I prefer times when I am reviewing resumes or when I am writing my own resume.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.