Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Sequence

Sequence

Author
paul.goldstraw
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
da-zero (12/22/2010)
paul.goldstraw (12/22/2010)
I got it right based on the fact that an update statement shouldn't ever be able to change the number of records in a table - since 8 rows were inserted the only possible answer was the first one (assuming there was no error). I got it right but was I correct in making that assumption or did I just get lucky? I can't think of any circumstance where an update would do that but have I missed something?

Paul

Unless you implement the update as an delete and an insert and something goes horribly wrong in between, I would be very surprised :-)

That's what I thought Smile Thanks for the confirmation

Paul
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Thanks for the question

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

zulmanclock
zulmanclock
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)SSC Veteran (231 reputation)

Thank you all for your comments. LIttle history behind why i came up with this querey. I work as a sql dba and report writer for a legal collections agency. we have tables were there are multiple rows for each account something to the nature of the below example

accoount field
1234 12345678
1234 90123456
1234 78901234

the field value is phone numbers or other data that was given to us by clients. what i was tasked to do was get all those numbers in one row

1234 12345678 90123456 78901234

using this statement i am able to get all instances of a sepcific account and line up the varios numbers given to us by clients. i am going to try the suggestions i have seen here to change the query for more effeciency. what i am doing is loading the different instances of accounts into temp tables updating the sequence so that i can join in my final report. i am out of the office until tuesday but once back in office i will post my final query that i use for my report and possibly that will shed more light as to my madness Smile

Again thank you all for comments.
UMG Developer
UMG Developer
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Thanks for the question.
Paul White
Paul White
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Oleg Netchaev (12/21/2010)
For example, the update in question can be easily restated like this:

Or, even more succinctly:

WITH Records (Old_Seq, New_Seq)
AS (
SELECT Seq,
ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY Value ORDER BY RecID)
FROM #Test
)
UPDATE Records
SET Old_Seq = New_Seq;

Paul

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Oleg Netchaev
Oleg Netchaev
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

SQLkiwi (12/28/2010)
Or, even more succinctly:

WITH Records (Old_Seq, New_Seq)
AS (
SELECT Seq,
ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY Value ORDER BY RecID)
FROM #Test
)
UPDATE Records
SET Old_Seq = New_Seq;

Paul

This is really elegant, thank you so much Paul! Since there is no way to use the windowing functions directly in the set, I thought that update from join is a necessary evil to workaround the issue. I am glad that it is not.

Oleg
terrykzncs
terrykzncs
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)Say Hey Kid (666 reputation)

get all those numbers in one row

Now I understand what you were trying to achieve. Thanks for the question.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.