SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

COALESCE Vs ISNULL

COALESCE Vs ISNULL

Author
paul.jones
Old Hand
Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)Old Hand (384 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
OK, I'm happy with the explanation of why COALESCE fails, but why does ISNULL work? vk-kirov observed that ISNULL(NULL,NULL) appears to be a NULL of type INT, but it doesn't always have to be, as the following are not equivalent:

SELECT ISNULL( ISNULL(NULL,NULL) ,'A')

SELECT ISNULL( CAST(NULL AS INT) ,'A')

dave.farmer
dave.farmer
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

paul.jones (11/12/2010)
OK, I'm happy with the explanation of why COALESCE fails, but why does ISNULL work? vk-kirov observed that ISNULL(NULL,NULL) appears to be a NULL of type INT, but it doesn't always have to be, as the following are not equivalent:

SELECT ISNULL( ISNULL(NULL,NULL) ,'A')

SELECT ISNULL( CAST(NULL AS INT) ,'A')

Presumably because ISNULL says choose the first unless it is null, in which case choose the second, (regardless of whether it is null) whereas COALESCE is choosing the first non-null value in the list (not sure how typing your null helps with that actually?)

In your first example, the only typed value is the 'A', so that type is applied to the rest of the values. In the second example it encounters the INT type first and tries to cast everything else to that.
SanjayAttray
SanjayAttray
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

More explanation on COALESCE expression error..

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/301695/misleading-error-message-on-case-expression-with-untyped-null-in-each-result-expression#

SQL DBA.
Steve Eckhart
Steve Eckhart
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Good question. I missed the note even though it is highlighted. Blush

Steve Eckhart
Mike Is Here
Mike Is Here
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

ISNULL and COALESCE though equivalent, can behave differently. An expression involving ISNULL with non-null parameters is considered to be NOT NULL, while expressions involving COALESCE with non-null parameters is considered to be NULL.
SanDroid
SanDroid
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Nice question. I learned something new about the Coalesce function and NULL values.

IMO: The actual data type for a NULL value once inserted into a table has to do with the fact that a true NULL is a lack of anything at all.
However, SQL server has to use something to maintain that the feild should return a NULL so it uses an int.
Rose Bud
Rose Bud
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

SanDroid (11/12/2010)
...true NULL is a lack of anything at all.
However, SQL server has to use something to maintain that the feild...so it uses an int.

That's my guess, too. NULL doesn't have a default datatype but a column in a table must have a default datatype and that default is int.

Hopefully, someone can confirm this theory.
Dean Cochrane
Dean Cochrane
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (136 reputation)

I think this difference in behavior may have something to do with the fact that the construction we're all so used to in SQL Server

SELECT (some thing or expression)

is really a short hand version of

SELECT (some thing or expression)
FROM (some table)

In Oracle and DB2, you can't write

SELECT (something)

You have to specify the FROM clause - which I believe is consistent with the language definition. Oracle gets around this by providing DUAL. DB2 shops often create their own version.

Anyway, I think that this difference in behavior is due to the fact that 1. ISNULL is old, proprietary, and non-standard, and 2. SELECT NULL without a FROM clause is really shorthand for SELECT NULL FROM SomeConvenientTable.

Personally, I always use COALESCE. It is standard SQL, and it is more flexible than ISNULL. ISNULL can do nothing that COALESCE can't do, and COALESCE can do things that ISNULL can't. So... COALESCE, always.
TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Nice clean question, answer, and explanation. Thanks.
But I must remember not to do QOTD at this time of day.

Tom

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)

Thanks for the question.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.