SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Enable Broker Service

Enable Broker Service

Author
Mayank Parmar
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Enable Broker Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mayank Parmar
Software Engineer

Clarion Technologies
SEI CMMI Level 3 Company

8th Floor, 803, GNFC info Tower,
SG Highway, Ahmedabad - 380 054,
Gujarat, India.
www.clariontechnologies.co.in

Email: mayank.parmar@clariontechnologies.co.in
MSN : mayank.parmar@clariontechnologies.co.in
Mobile: +91 9727748789
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UMG Developer
UMG Developer
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)

Nice question on something most people probably don't know anything about. Thanks!
Iulian -207023
Iulian -207023
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Nice question, thanks.

Here is also a discussion on this topic: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlservicebroker/thread/eca47504-9a8c-4c0f-a4a4-3a56fb5a012b

Imran Ashraf-452633
Imran Ashraf-452633
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Another Good question, one which I needed to read up about as we do not use the Service Broker where I work.
Hardy21
Hardy21
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Good question with nice/tricky options.

I was thinking for following options are the candidates:
ALTER DATABASE db2 SET DISABLE_BROKER ; ALTER DATABASE db2 SET ENABLE_BROKER;
ALTER DATABASE db2 SET NEW_BROKER

But after reading some links got the right answer - NEW_BROKER.

Thanks
Nakul Vachhrajani
Nakul Vachhrajani
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Great question!
The Enable broker and new broker were obvious candidates, but it took some Books On line reading to get to NEW_BROKER.
Got to learn something new on Service Broker today. Thank-you!

Thanks & Regards,
Nakul Vachhrajani.
http://nakulvachhrajani.com
Be courteous. Drive responsibly.

Follow me on
Twitter: @sqltwins
Google Plus: +Nakul
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)

Nice question about an unknown subject.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Phil Jackson
Phil Jackson
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (527 reputation)

I'm sorry, but I do not believe that the question was phrased very well. To 'enable' Service Broker for the database, you use the ENABLE_BROKER option, as stated in the msdn article you posted [url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522682(v=SQL.100).aspx][/url]

ENABLE_BROKER
Specifies that Service Broker is enabled for the specified database. Message delivery is started, and the is_broker_enabled flag is set to true in the sys.databases catalog view. The database retains the existing Service Broker identifier.

To reset/assign a new Service Broker Id for a restored database, you would use the NEW_BROKER option.

NEW_BROKER
Specifies that the database should receive a new broker identifier. Because the database is considered to be a new service broker, all existing conversations in the database are immediately removed without producing end dialog messages. Any route that references the old Service Broker identifier must be re-created with the new identifier.

Phil

Although all answers are replies, not all replies are answers.
Blog: http://philjax.wordpress.com
Christian Buettner-167247
Christian Buettner-167247
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)

<nitpick mode="on" />

I would issue a simple
ALTER DATABASE db2 SET ENABLE_BROKER

, since noone said that the broker service had already been enabled in db1
<nitpick mode="off" />

Ok, common sense told me that I should assume the service had already been enabled in db1 as well, so I chose the right answer.

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner
Mayank Parmar
Mayank Parmar
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)Right there with Babe (771 reputation)

Yes Phil,

Normally to enable the Broker Service, you need to simply use : "ENABLE_BROKER"

But when you restore the back up of database db1 to database db2, and after that if you want to enable broker service on database db2, then what to do? - That was my question.

Regards,
Mayank

Mayank Parmar
Software Engineer

Clarion Technologies
SEI CMMI Level 3 Company

8th Floor, 803, GNFC info Tower,
SG Highway, Ahmedabad - 380 054,
Gujarat, India.
www.clariontechnologies.co.in

Email: mayank.parmar@clariontechnologies.co.in
MSN : mayank.parmar@clariontechnologies.co.in
Mobile: +91 9727748789
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.