Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

select the last month in SQL server 2005

select the last month in SQL server 2005

Author
purushotham.k9
Valued Member
Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I need a help to select the last month like 2009-Nov.
steveb.
steveb.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

you can use the dateadd function combined with datename

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186819.aspx

SELECT DATENAME(m,(DATEADD(m,-1,GETDATE())))

Madhivanan-208264
Madhivanan-208264
Old Hand
Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)Old Hand (385 reputation)

purushotham.k9 (12/8/2009)
I need a help to select the last month like 2009-Nov.

Where do you want to use the result?

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
purushotham.k9
purushotham.k9
Valued Member
Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)

This should give date range from Nov01 to Nov'30
steveb.
steveb.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

What specifically do you want returned, the more specifc you can be the easier it is for people to help..

do you want one row for each date in the previous month ?

or a one row output with '1 Nov - 30 Nov' ?

or something else.
purushotham.k9
purushotham.k9
Valued Member

I am trying to generate the months dynamically. I should have to get the months till current month(i.e Jan-Nov). In Jan 2010 i should have to generate the months from Jan-Dec.
in another view i will be using them in pivot to do some calculations.
purushotham.k9
purushotham.k9
Valued Member

For this i am using following SQL: CAST(DATEPART(yyyy,getdate()) as varchar) + '-' + CONVERT(varchar(3),DATENAME(m,(DATEADD(m,-1,getdate())))).

I am gussing that this should give the proper result
steveb.
steveb.
Hall of Fame

That should work,

if you are looking at pivoting the data then you may find it useful to implement a calender table

http://codeinet.blogspot.com/2006/08/auxiliary-calendar-table-for-sql.html
purushotham.k9
purushotham.k9
Valued Member

Again iam getting the dec month in end of result...

[2009-Nov],[2009-Oct],[2009-Sep],[2009-Aug],[2009-Jul],[2009-Jun],[2009-May],[2009-Apr],[2009-Mar],[2009-Feb],[2009-Jan],[2009-Dec]

Can you please help me how to prevent this.
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

Here is the problem, everyone is shooting in the dark. If you would like the best help possible, please read and follow the instructions detailed in the first article I reference in my signature block below regarding asking for help.

Without seeing your tables (or at least the relavent parts), sample data, expected results, and what you have tried so far; it is really difficult to provide good answers.

Plus, if you follow the instructions in that article, you will get tested code in return. What a bonus!

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.