Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Display COUNT(*) but ONLY TOP 100

Display COUNT(*) but ONLY TOP 100

Author
halford13
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Display COUNT(*) but ONLY TOP 100
Mike1024
Mike1024
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Your article begins with:

"Let's say you have a result set with 5000 records but you want to display only 100 of them and in the same time to display the count of ALL records (5000)."

So, how do you display the "5000"? I don't see that anywhere in your example. The article is a bit choppy.
gorr-688214
gorr-688214
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

You should use ROW_NUMBER() instead of rank. Rank will assign the same number to the first to items in your data set. They are both 1 so they have the same rank. ROW_Number will be unique.
halford13
halford13
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (133 reputation)

Hi Mike1024,

"how do I display 5000"? ... well in my example I display 54977 .. maybe I should have written 54977 instead of 5000.
I hope you got the idea.

Hi gorr-688214,

In my example I used Rank() because the ContactId is not unique and I want to count the unique number of them.
If you have no grouping clause then yes, you can use Row_number().

Enjoy!
DavidP-340734
DavidP-340734
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)

SELECT TOP 100 (select count(*) from X) AS Total_Counts,
FROM X
halford13
halford13
SSC-Enthusiastic

Hi DavidP-340734,

Did you ever try your solution?

I've tested on a table with more the 3 mil records and my solution is more faster than yours.

Good luck!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.