SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSRS open file instead of url within a report

SSRS open file instead of url within a report

Author
Sherri Barkley
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have a SSRS report that displays one field that contains a filename. I have been asked if it is possible to have a user click on that filename within the SSRS report and have it launch the text file? I have looked through a couple of SSRS books and Google searched and I haven't come up with anything yet. So if you know a way to make this happen, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Sherri
WilliamBendall
WilliamBendall
Old Hand
Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)

Ok, I dragged a textbox onto one of my existing reports and captured "C:\MyFile.txt" in it.
Then I created the file itself on my C:. In the file I put "asdf" and saved it.
I then went into the properties of the textbox itself and next to the Action setting I clicked on the ellipses.
This opens up a window that asks you what action you want to do.
I ticked, "Jump to URL" and inside the textbox typed in ="C:\myFile.txt".
I then uploaded the report to our dev website. When I clicked on the link nothing happened.
But I was able to right click and "save target as...".
I saved the target file to my desktop, and when I opened it it had "asdf" in it.

So, I know it's linking to the right file, I just don't know why I wasn't able to open it in my browser. Maybe someone can help us with that? :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Struggling to find the question?
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2008/05/13/question-needed-not-answer.aspx
Sherri Barkley
Sherri Barkley
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)SSC Veteran (243 reputation)

Thanks for giving it a shot. Hopefully someone else has made it work and can give steps for the rest of us.

Thanks again for taking the time to try to figure it out.
Marianne L Collins
Marianne L Collins
Old Hand
Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)

Check out the response from DevDells on Sep 19, 2008 from here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/43385efd-b4ff-41ef-b24b-da911c155936

Basically, you need to create a share with the folder where your file will reside, and your Jump to URL will be in the following format:
http://ServerName/share/filename.txt

To create the share, right-click the folder name and go to the properties. Make sure you enable Web Sharing, as well.

Hope that helps.
-Marianne
Sherri Barkley
Sherri Barkley
SSC Veteran

Thanks Marianne, I will give that a try.
nirav351-1119077
nirav351-1119077
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)

Hi,

I have same Exact Requirment like you in SSRS 2005.

Did you got any solution ?

Pls let me know.

Thanks.
Amit Raut
Amit Raut
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)

Hi,

I too have a similar requirement but it seems that it's not feasible.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/43385efd-b4ff-41ef-b24b-da911c155936/displaying-a-word-document-via-reporting-services?forum=sqlreportingservices
Amit Raut
Amit Raut
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)SSC Eights! (977 reputation)

Creating an hyperlink (Navigation - Jump to URL) for a pdf file worked for me. Below is the expression I used:

="file:\\fileserver\plant\Certificates\ICR_AER0190_01.pdf"
jvanderlouw-960980
jvanderlouw-960980
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)

I want to open a text file in Notepad/Worpad itself. However the hyperlink in 'Go to URL' opens the content of the textfile in a seperate sheet. The goal is to open the text file and be able to edit it.

Is this possible?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.