SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

not like?

not like?

Author
VM-723206
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item not like?
Ronald H
Ronald H
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

I like these questions a lot more than making 'SQL puzzles', just by showing bad code. Your question is a typical sample of what I run into daily. Every DBA should use ISNULL in their queries, I guess that's the lesson for today Smile

Ronald Hensbergen

Help us, help yourself... Post data so we can read and use it: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2+2=5 for significant large values of 2
mtassin
mtassin
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

r.hensbergen (3/23/2009)
I like these questions a lot more than making 'SQL puzzles', just by showing bad code. Your question is a typical sample of what I run into daily. Every DBA should use ISNULL in their queries, I guess that's the lesson for today Smile

Actually,

They should use COALESCE, it's much easier to use, doesn't request nesting for multiple tests and is ANSI SQL compliant.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)

mtassin (3/23/2009)
r.hensbergen (3/23/2009)

Actually,

They should use COALESCE, it's much easier to use, doesn't request nesting for multiple tests and is ANSI SQL compliant.

ISNULL may not be ANSI SQL compliant, but I think you will find it faster than COALESCE when you only need to test a single value for a null value. Using COALESCE makes sense when you have multiple values and you want the first non-null value.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
tkruse
tkruse
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (107 reputation)

To Null Or Not To Null, but let's be consistent.

This is usually hard to explain to a non techinical person who knows enough SQL to be dangerous.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Basic+Querying/understandingthedifferencebetweenisnull/871/

kevin.l.williams
kevin.l.williams
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

I know why the null value is not returned but I am puzzled by the explanation.

"Since col2 is used in the WHERE clause, the output does not include the corresponding col1 value i.e. 4, even though no such 'not equal to NULL' condition is specified."

mosaic-263591
mosaic-263591
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (539 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (539 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (539 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (539 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (539 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (539 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (539 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (539 reputation)

This happens to be one of my eternal blind spots.
I have lost count of the number of times I had to correct a query because I forgot that using 'NOT LIKE' also implies "NOT NULL".
The error may go unnoticed for ages because missing a few rows from the query results is not easy to spot.
Thanks for the reminder ... but no doubt I'll make the same mistake again - sigh.
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)SSC Guru (168K reputation)

kevin.l.williams (3/23/2009)

"Since col2 is used in the WHERE clause, the output does not include the corresponding col1 value i.e. 4, even though no such 'not equal to NULL' condition is specified."

It works like this, the records returned by the following query:

select col1 from @test where col2 not like '%del%'

are those where the value in col2 is not like '%del%', meaning the the NOT LIKE is true. However, is col2 is null, this result of the NOT LIKE is false.

Try the following:

declare @TestVal int;
set @TestVal = null; -- ensure @TestVal is null
select
case when @TestVal = null then 'equal null'
when @TestVal <> null then 'not equal null'
else 'undetermined'
end;

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
kevin.l.williams
kevin.l.williams
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Lynn Pettis (3/23/2009)
kevin.l.williams (3/23/2009)

It works like this, the records returned by the following query:

select col1 from @test where col2 not like '%del%'

are those where the value in col2 is not like '%del%', meaning the the NOT LIKE is true. However, is col2 is null, this result of the NOT LIKE is false.

Try the following:

declare @TestVal int;
set @TestVal = null; -- ensure @TestVal is null
select
case when @TestVal = null then 'equal null'
when @TestVal <> null then 'not equal null'
else 'undetermined'
end;

Understood. I just don't think the authors explanation will help anyone who does not understand why 4 is not returned.

john.arnott
john.arnott
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)

What's happening here is that comparisons with NULL always return "false". Not even NULL compares true to NULL. So, even though NULL (row 4) doesn't contain string "del", it still gives a "false" when compared with (like) '%del%'. Null means no value is assigned and you may not compare any value to an undetermined value.

Comparisons with NULL return "false" whether you use equal (=) or not equal (!=), or use "like" or "not like". This code...

If 'Hello' = NULL print 'Hello = Null'
else print 'Hello != NULL'
If 'Hello' != NULL print 'Hello != Null'
else print 'Hello = NULL'

returns the rather schizophrenic results....

Hello != NULL
Hello = NULL

So, to cover yourself, you can explicitly code for the possibility of NULL with either "is NULL" or one of the operators "IsNull" or "Coalesce". like mtassin in previous post, I prefer coalesce.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.