SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Shared Directory

Shared Directory

Author
pedro.ribeiro
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Suppose i have created a mapped network drive on my workingstation (\\DatabaseServer\share1).
This mapped drive , points to my database server, where i have a shared directory.
My txt files are on that share (on SQL Server server).

If i send the remote name of my mapped drive (\\databaseserver\share1) to my stored procedure that is on my SQL Server, will the SQL Server import the files internally (not trought network)?

(my stored procedure imports data trought bulk insert functionality)

In other words:

If i have a Shared Directory in my SQL Server server (for instance, named pedro1) and send to the stored procedure located on that SQL Server server the path \\SQL Server\pedro1 , will the data be imported trought network? or will the data be imported localy, as if i had sent the full local path like c:\pedro1?

tks,

Pedro
tosscrosby
  tosscrosby
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
If I understand your request correctly, the file share physically resides on your SQL server box, correct? And your stored procs refer to \\servername\..., which is the local box? If this is all correct, I believe it's a local call and won't go over the network. I always use server name as opposed to a local path so that if I move SQL to a new server, as long as my file repository remains the same, I don't have to change anything. One caveat, my file shares are always a separate machine, not my SQL Server box. But that's MY setup.

-- You can't be late until you show up.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.