Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Using the Copy Database Wizard

Using the Copy Database Wizard

Author
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/usingthecopydatabasewizard.asp>http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/usingthecopydatabasewizard.asp

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
ALZDBA
ALZDBA
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
It is a nice wizard, but keep in mind it DETACHes the original db for a litle while, and hereby generates unavailability of your originating db.

Johan

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere w00t

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution :-D

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me Alien but most of the time this is me Hehe
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)

Thats correct.

Andy
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
vkhabas
vkhabas
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

No any information about coping master, msdb, and model databases between MS SQL Servers with different versions.
Is it possible to move this databases from v.7 to v.2000?

Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable

You cant move system databases using the wizard. You can detach/copy/move both model and msdb if you want to.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
danw
danw
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)

The code behind this wizard is very poorly written.
Try using it on a system that has 200 or more databases... it would take a Cray to make it all the way through the wizard. It uses a cursor to step through each database and calculate the size only it takes forever. I bet the cursor is setup wrong.

Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable

Have to admit I didnt test it on 200 dbs. I wouldnt use it for 200 anyway, easier to write a little code to detach and reattach, do it all at once. I'll look again to see what it's running behind the scenes.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable

Do you get anything in the details? Does it manage to detach to start with and fail later, or not even get that far?

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
rsarosh
rsarosh
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Tell me what new thing you told us in this article. This whole article can be replaced by one line - right click on the database and choose Copy database.

RAD
RAD
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)SSC Journeyman (98 reputation)

No matter what I've tried, it doesn't work with SQL Authentication. Yes, I do have Admin righs on both machines, but if they are not on the same network, you're out of luck. Did it work for anyone? I used it to transfer SQL 7 SP2 to 2000 SP1.

Thanks

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.