SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Client Certificates and Web Services in SSIS

Client Certificates and Web Services in SSIS

Author
Sheldon Williams-262462
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have run into an issue recently and was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem. I am writting an SSIS package that will need to pass and receive data from a web service and this particular web service requires a certificate to allow access to the methods. I am able to configure the HTTP connection to the correct address for the web service and the client certificate that I need and that connection tests fine. The problem is that when my package process goes to access the web service, I get an error indicating that the client certificate was not provided to the web service. Anyone got any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong here?
Patrick Delaney
Patrick Delaney
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)

I'm getting this exact same issue - so if anyone can help both of us out that would be great.

I have an SSIS package to consume a Web Service provided by a 3rd party. This Web Service needs a digital certificate installed to the Personal Store, I have installed this fine and can confirm everything lives where it should.

I can create a HTTP Connection through SSIS fine and can select and use the correct certificate and can test the connection successfully. Problem is when trying to create the Web Service Task. I select the HTTP connection yet when I test I get a "cannot create TLS/SSL" error which suggests it's not using the certificate.

SSIS is using a "Network Service" account and I have used the WinHttpCertCfg utility to give the service access to the certificate but still no joy. I've also ran test bypassing the Proxy and again no joy.

I must have missed something stupid here, seems a simple thing but there we go. I've ordered "The Rational Guide to Extending SSIS 2005 with Script" on the back of Jamie Thompson recommendation as it has a section on consuming web services through script - may well have to go down this route.

SQL 2005 Standard Edition (sp3). .Net Framework 3.5 sp1
Patrick Delaney
Patrick Delaney
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)

Hi (again!)

I managed to get past this! I had to configure the HTTP connection manager entry with credentials to get past the proxy. Sheldon, you may have already tried this but if not give that a whirl.

Unfortunately - a new error on execution.
"Object reference not set to an instance of an object.."

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.